Spiderjack problem

simonm

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same problem and I have found the tiny spring that rests on the cam has been damaged.I have been locking it by pulling the tail away from myself for a while. I want to buy a new spring but the postage is about 4 times the cost of the spring.I now have a big enough shopping list to get Joneses free postage deal.

13mm...really! i tried 13mm when i first got it and it was horrible! wouldn't self tend at all, kept having to pull it through. 11.5 Tachyon works great with it, if there is enough weight of rope through it self tends :thumbup1:

YALE scorch 13mm. Agreed a little tight at first but wears in and sits nice in no time and self tends bute after a short time. Climbing on it 2years or more and never ever had a single problem. As they say if it an't broke don't try and fix it. Don't forget you will loose 1 to 1 1/2 mm of rope width through stretch and wear. 11.7 mm down to 11mm or less 13mm down to 12mm. Figure it out.

I have the same problem and I have found the tiny spring that rests on the cam has been damaged.I have been locking it by pulling the tail away from myself for a while. I want to buy a new spring but the postage is about 4 times the cost of the spring.I now have a big enough shopping list to get Joneses free postage deal.

Spring is one I've been through loads now, are you using a cambium saver or are your ropes majorly deflected. The added friction without a cambium saver in will stop it biting. Also is the body warn out? If you take the SJ off the rope you can see the pin wearing through where the rope exits the spiderjack. The pin has been showing for ages on mine it's not too big of a deal

Second thoughts the cam does look pretty worn

The small spring keeps the cam close tension on the rope. If the spring fails there is to much space between the cam and rope and causes the cam to wear quicker. As said I would change cam and go for bigger mm size rope. Only a suggestion.

Mite try that 11.7 instead as tachyon is doing me hands in.

I also have a zigzag most are using 11.7 blue tongue or tachyon. Am using 12 POWERSTATIC. if you can get your hands on some 13mm even if worn slightly and try it even before you change the cam and just see how it works. Then get so,e if it's ok.

Also sometimes if you don't let to of the rope suddenly and you let it slip through your hands the jack will slip... Body looks fine this is mine at the moment, you can see the pin has worn through just for reference if anyone was wondering ImageUploadedByArbtalk1424679009.697146.jpg.c154edd8d7dd8bc14c6addfac40d9e03.jpg

Edit: the quality of the photo isn't as great on arbtalk it's quite hard to spot