CS100 bolts

Joseph W

Hi there,

I have a cs100 chipper and have just finished drilling out a bolt holding the blades. I'm going to get new bolts, I think m8x25mm high tensile countersunk torx type ones... I have scoured the internet and have only found hex/allen heads-can anyone recommend where to buy these? thanks in advance

Joe

Stainless steel bolts are not a direct replacement

Stainless steel has a different shear strength and therefore depending on stainless type could be a weaker strengthen

Blade bolts are normally made to match the task in hand !!

fitting non genuine bolts to ant blade may seem like a cheaper idea but could result in costly damage and injuries to workforce!!

Would you cut conners on climb gear to save a couple of quid and put your life at risk!!

We've had chippers in for repair where blades, anvils has been thrown straight out the side of the chipper !!

Luckily no one was standing in the firing line..

Torx drive has a bigger surface area of contact between the bolt and the drive and therefore less likely to round off compared to a Allen type bolt..

A good quality Impact drive the type you hit with a hammer with the right size bit on the end and removal will never seem so easy !!!

Tried that and always had trouble with them, even torqued they still seemed to tighten, last time i used the torx i had to weld a nut on two to get them off !!

hex bolts have been used for a few years now and seem easier to come out on the blade change. they are not stainless for the reasons you listed, original bolts are grade 8.8 so thats what i replaced them with.

Just ordered some hex bolts for mine, hi tensile grade 10.9, is this up to the job,

Fair bit stronger than 8.8 so I would have thought better. Drive will be the weak link so as you no doubt know always use best quality tools. I normally use copper grease on threads/shafts before assembly. Presumably that is acceptable in this application but best to check.

With most things I work on if I suspect problems I apply penetrating oil a few times during the last day or so before disassembly.

I want to turn my blades for the first time this week and all these threads about the CS100 blade changing is filling me with TOTAL fear :( Another week running bluntish blades I reckon. Frightened if I try it may be out of action for weeks.

My old dosko was a piece of piss to change. Wish i still had it now as back up.

Any one want to buy a cs100 :)

Care needs to be taken !!

Blade bolts replaced with higher tensile strength seems a good idea !

'Stronger got to be better'

The stronger the more brittle!!

like over tightening results in higher chance possible failure..

I would recommend a very good brand of impact drive which is very effective for removing this type of bolt/screw but last time there name was posted it started a very long thread of for and against!!