Which Mountain Bike

Dean Lofthouse

Dean,

Get yourself some `proper` shoes and pedals, you will never look back, I have got the Crank brothers ones and they are excellent.

Saddle wise I run a Tune Speedneedle carbon saddle (literally a piece of carbon) which looks very painful but is actually very comfy because the carbon moulds to your ass. Also light because I am sad about things like the weight of my bike.

Btw where are you based in the country?

How do the shoes work Jonny, I take it the clips just press in but how easy do they come out and are they for using a pulling action with one leg and a push with the other?

The pedals that were on it are shimano PD-M520. If you can pull up on the pedals as well I can see the advantage.

What helmet have you got Jonny ?

The saddle may have been uncomfy because I had the seat a little low so when sat down all my weight was on it instead of being able to transfer most to the pedals, I've adjusted the seat so will see how I go on next time.

I'm based in brighouse, west yorks.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do the shoes work Jonny, I take it the clips just press in but how easy do they come out and are they for using a pulling action with one leg and a push with the other?

The pedals that were on it are shimano PD-M520. If you can pull up on the pedals as well I can see the advantage.

What helmet have you got Jonny ?

The saddle may have been uncomfy because I had the seat a little low so when sat down all my weight was on it instead of being able to transfer most to the pedals, I've adjusted the seat so will see how I go on next time.

I'm based in brighouse, west yorks.

The shoes have a special metal thing (cleat) that screws to the bottom of them, this allows you you clip to the pedals by pushing down. By twisting your heel out they release you.

Couple if advantages, you cant slip a pedal so no ruined shins from spiky pedals and you can pedal more smoothly in a full circle. Also when you are confident on them they are better for techy climbs like the ones in the peaks.

I am not a fan of the Shimano SPD style of clipless pedal as I find they have very little float and tend to clog with mud.

Crank Brothers Egg Beater Triple Ti - 279.99 - SBR Sports

I run the eggbeaters and although the triple tis are expensive they are quality and light. The cheaper ones all have the same mechanism and are just as good, only a bit heavier.

Helmet is a Giro E2

Giro E2 2008 Helmet Silver / White

I think mine is a special edition orange as I have never seen anybody with one the same, it is very good helmet for me. However I would go and get one from a shop as everyone has a different shaped head. The Giro Xen seems to be a popular helmet if you have a bigish head and also comes in some snazzy colour schemes.

Living in the North definately has its benifits and although I am only about 1hr and a bit away from the Peak District I would still like to live up near the North York moors or the Lake district. If you want to do some proper rides I can point you in the direction of some forums where they have group meet rides round near you, definately worth going out in the hills with some more experienced people the first few times in case you have any problems.

Dean,

Get yourself some `proper` shoes and pedals, you will never look back, I have got the Crank brothers ones and they are excellent.

Saddle wise I run a Tune Speedneedle carbon saddle (literally a piece of carbon) which looks very painful but is actually very comfy because the carbon moulds to your ass. Also light because I am sad about things like the weight of my bike.

Below: Just about to climb 1000 vertical M in one climb up towards the mer du glace in Chamonix as proof that carbon saddles are comfy.

chamonixjuly07058.jpg

Below: Proof that Spd pedals and superlight xc bikes dont slow you down. Get out there and ride.

carcassonne173.jpg

Btw where are you based in the country?

spd spd spdity spd. They are awesome Dean, and dont believe the people who say they are dangerous, they are the best thing since sliced bread- efficiency, power transfer and 'perfect circles' are so easy when wearing them. Get back out and spend some more money......:001_smile:

Do you know, sometimes I wish I didn't have an engineering background and wasn't so fussy, everything has to be right with me.

Bought a new deuraily (however you spell it) and I've had a new chain kicking round for years, so took the old derailie thing off, took the old chain off and the front cogs to clean, only to find the bottom bracket bearings are grumbling, I cant put it back together without putting new bearing in it will do my head in knowing they are grumbling.

You dont know what they are on a trek do you so I can buy some off ebay, the crank set is a bontrager race and all I can see on the bottom bracket set is BSA 36-05

You dont know what they are on a trek do you so I can buy some off ebay, the crank set is a bontrager race and all I can see on the bottom bracket set is BSA 36-05

I seriously reckon you want to get down to a small independent bike shop and go through all the options wuth them. There are about a gazillion possibilities for bits such as bottom brackets. I like hubs etc made by Hope. They arent the cheapest, but they are pretty amazing.:001_smile:

I seriously reckon you want to get down to a small independent bike shop and go through all the options wuth them. There are about a gazillion possibilities for bits such as bottom brackets. I like hubs etc made by Hope. They arent the cheapest, but they are pretty amazing.:001_smile:

Me thinks we should have a 'show us your mountain-bike' thread! :001_tt1:

Bought a new deuraily (however you spell it) and I've had a new chain kicking round for years, so took the old derailie thing off, took the old chain off and the front cogs to clean, only to find the bottom bracket bearings are grumbling, I cant put it back together without putting new bearing in it will do my head in knowing they are grumbling.

Dean, before you put a new chain on check the wear on the cassette and chainrings as worn `hooked` teeth wil bugger a new chain very quickly, think of it like putting new chipper knives in without setting the anvil. You can do it but not ideal, and it will work but just not as good as it could.

Take some close upish photos of the teeth if you are not sure.

Bottom bracket wise, not sure if they are square taper, isis or external bearings. Either take it apart and post some photos or go down and get friendly with a local bike shop + if you chat for long enough they will tell you the good spots to ride at locally, just use a bit of nouse as usually people like to keep the good ones secret.