Safety tip #126

BobbyDee

Good to hear that others on here are aware that it's an urban myth about the difference between 112 and 999. The number of times I've pointed this out in other places and people were adamant that 112 was better because someone on youtube said so, or because their 1st aid trainer saw it on youtube and presented it as fact.

Depending where you are it is possible to get a very accurate location on you, but not just from your 999 call. Mountain Rescue teams use a system called SARLOC. So if you have a smart phone, they send something to your phone and when you click on it, it reads reads you position from the web browser and transmits your location to their computer. So if you are lucky enough to be working in an area covered by one of these teams, or are into mountaineering, it can be a life saver. Here's a write up about it. SARLOC© ? A method for locating lost climbers and walkers » Dartmoor Search and Rescue Team - Ashburton

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say it again but if you do a proper risk assessment and it's been noted down pointing out access and egress grid reference etc you won't need to rely on emergence services using your phone signal to find you.

It's all well and good them finding your location but if they can't find the best way in to your site then it's time wasted which could make all the difference between life and death

I quite agree. But it's interesting to know that these techniques are available. We use it more for locating lost mountaineers, but in areas where Mountain Rescue teams operate the police often use us for missing person searches in lower lying areas, including local towns and villages, so this technology can be useful to find non-mountaineers too.

I remember somewhere about ICE contacts too......In Case of Emergency. I've not ever created them though! 😁

That's only any use if you keep your phone unlocked though. I've heard of people putting ICE contact details on their lock screen which might be a sensible move.

That was covered in the first aid with forestry, a pretty sad story about a guy being trapped for an hour or so, being perfectly conscience and coherent but as soon as the load is lifted he died, worse thing was knew it would happen

I'm not disputing this in the slightest but surely if the professionals knew this would happen wouldn't they attempt life saving surgery by removing the limb or was it just not possible?

It's caused by breakdown products of skeletal muscle that pour into your blood stream after the limb is filled with blood again. Generally it causes problems with kidney failure and not sudden death but is a reason to go to Accident and emergency and have an IV fluid drip for a couple of hours minimum. Many parts of the world they don't recommend not releasing somebody trapped.