What size chipper/shredder?

Duncan R

My suggestions are;

Reduce the branches down with your MS181 so that all usable firewood is taken aside. Then chop up the rest to season as kindling.

The scraggy stuff and leaves, let them sit for a month or two and then have a bonfire.

Alternatively if you're dead set on shredding it;

Buy a cheap shredder off ebay and fill your boots,

Contact a local arborist and see if they can pass by your way and shred the lot for some beer tokens.

Buy a mulching blade for your brushcutter if you own one, and slam the lot to matchwood after in an afternoon.

I'd reckon your best bet would be to stack the brash on your driveway, cut up ready to chip, butts facing forward, all clean, no rubbish in it, and ask politely for your local friendly tree cutter to chip it when they're passing. Should come to less than the price of hiring a chipper if you do everything you can to make life easy on them.

Appreciate the replies......my thoughts were to de-limb (is that the right word)? the trees, harbour all usable wood then anything under 2 1/2" chip as I might well have a use for it. I have just utilised all the Ash....there is enough kindling to last god knows how long but it took a time to complete.

My advice, hire a 6" TW or similar, chip as much as possible, mucking around saving twigs is a mugs game.

not if you have a use for them........... I agree from a time point of view which is what we view a job as but if time is not issue, why not utilise everything that you can?.

me personally if it fits it chips :):thumbup:

Just thinking on a bit, how does Leylandi split when freshly cut? The stuff I have used before was split once seasoned..i'm thinking along the lines of a small electric/hydraulic log splitter to do the job.

Splits easy with a good maul and a bit of sweat so don't bother with a splitter unless you got back back or somthing.