Chainsaw boots V Steel toe cap boots and gloves

Hunterdoncaster

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a wind up?

No not at all, just wondered the difference between hardcore work boots and dedicated chainsaw boots, in a world that's gone Alf and safety mad I had to ask the question to experienced users rather than she'll out money that I don't need to be spending.

I understand flip flops are a no no , but most people are new to a hammer are advised to to wear a viz vest, hard hat and safety goggle just to knock a nail in a piece of wood nowadays

I have a pair of Haix Tibet Forst boots. They're enormous, cumbersome, take ages to lace up snugly, dig into your shins a bit unless you wear mega long socks (which I don't) and I walk like Buster Gonad in them.

Dancing, forget it, but I do feel safe as houses when sawing in them.

If I'm using my saw horse or my new favourite the Superjaws with log jaws, I just wear some steelies. Reason is my saw never goes lower than waist height.

I've got some Stihl chainsaw trousers which due to an elasticated waist expose a builders bum on every bend down, I will be buying the braces in due course to overcome this unsightly occurrence.

I had a pair of chainsaw gloves which recently decided to hide themselves with my girlfriend's help no doubt. I now use some Stihl leather gloves I got from Countrywide for about a tenner.

I always wear my Husqvarna helmet, ear defenders and face mesh set, always.

I'm probably not the best protected, nor the least. Likewise I'm not the safest with a saw, nor the most dangerous.

Due to my low cutting experience and low personal usage compared to the Arb pro's I probably 'concentrate' harder and am more 'nervous' about every cut than a guy whose work means he using a saw eight hours a day all week for years. A bit like a newly qualified driver having to over think every move, which later becomes second nature.

As long as you take all the precautions you can afford, and don't get sloppy or rushed with the chainsaw, you should live and remain intact.

My worst crime is forgetting to stand aside of the bar's arc, instead pitting my head dead centre in the aim of a kick back. I think this will be soemthing someone used to other power tools will potentially do out of habit. One wouldn't use a jigsaw with their head to one side normally.

Just try to be safe. Work slowly, don't let the tip of the bar touch anything. Use both hands and hold on securely. Use the saw dogs to get some purchase and leverage and don't cut above chest height (preferably lower).

Also try to get into the habit of actuating the chain brake between cuts where you might have to put the saw down, or move some wood out the way with your other hand. It might seem tedious but it's good practice for a noob in my humble opinion. Also you know that your chain brake works.

Disclaimer: this information is BY NO MEANS PROFESSIONAL INSTRUCTION purely my own personal safety rules which may or may not be adequate. I welcome corrections or suggestions.

P.S to answer your question, chainsaw boots have a material in that if sawn through will jam the chain and stall the saw, same as the trousers etc.

Work boots don't have this feature.

Edited by TurtleWoods72

……until you drop it accidentally…….. better safe than sorry.

Not be pedantic because "better safe than sorry" is correct...

But really? I'm a 16 stone bloke holding on to a 50cc saw with both hands in suede gloves..squeezing a dead mans handle and pulling a trigger throttle in with my index finger. How do I drop it accidentally and cut my foot off? :confused1:

No not at all, just wondered the difference between hardcore work boots and dedicated chainsaw boots, in a world that's gone Alf and safety mad I had to ask the question to experienced users rather than she'll out money that I don't need to be spending.

I understand flip flops are a no no , but most people are new to a hammer are advised to to wear a viz vest, hard hat and safety goggle just to knock a nail in a piece of wood nowadays

Fair enough! Chainsaw boots have a filling which should clog up a saw, I've seen 'good' work boots still covered in claret following a run in with a saw, they offer no protection. The biggest protection from a saw is not being complacent, having experience and good work positioning. That said accidents do happen, I believe (excluding hands and arms) most often to the legs and ankles. I'd say get boots and trousers, and more importantly if you have no experience, proper training. Good luck

I have a pair of Haix Tibet Forst boots. They're enormous, cumbersome, take ages to lace up snugly, dig into your shins a bit unless you wear mega long socks (which I don't) and I walk like Buster Gonad in them.

Dancing, forget it, but I do feel safe as houses when sawing in them.

If I'm using my saw horse or my new favourite the Superjaws with log jaws, I just wear some steelies. Reason is my saw never goes lower than waist height.

I've got some Stihl chainsaw trousers which due to an elasticated waist expose a builders bum on every bend down, I will be buying the braces in due course to overcome this unsightly occurrence.

I had a pair of chainsaw gloves which recently decided to hide themselves with my girlfriend's help no doubt. I now use some Stihl leather gloves I got from Countrywide for about a tenner.

I always wear my Husqvarna helmet, ear defenders and face mesh set, always.

I'm probably not the best protected, nor the least. Likewise I'm not the safest with a saw, nor the most dangerous.

Due to my low cutting experience and low personal usage compared to the Arb pro's I probably 'concentrate' harder and am more 'nervous' about every cut than a guy whose work means he using a saw eight hours a day all week for years. A bit like a newly qualified driver having to over think every move, which later becomes second nature.

As long as you take all the precautions you can afford, and don't get sloppy or rushed with the chainsaw, you should live and remain intact.

My worst crime is forgetting to stand aside of the bar's arc, instead pitting my head dead centre in the aim of a kick back. I think this will be soemthing someone used to other power tools will potentially do out of habit. One wouldn't use a jigsaw with their head to one side normally.

Just try to be safe. Work slowly, don't let the tip of the bar touch anything. Use both hands and hold on securely. Use the saw dogs to get some purchase and leverage and don't cut above chest height (preferably lower).

Also try to get into the habit of actuating the chain brake between cuts where you might have to put the saw down, or move some wood out the way with your other hand. It might seem tedious but it's good practice for a noob in my humble opinion. Also you know that your chain brake works.

Disclaimer: this information is BY NO MEANS PROFESSIONAL INSTRUCTION purely my own personal safety rules which may or may not be adequate. I welcome corrections or suggestions.

P.S to answer your question, chainsaw boots have a material in that if sawn through will jam the chain and stall the saw, same as the trousers etc.

Work boots don't have this feature.

Haha I hear Ya pal!

I've been reading a lot about this subject , bought some good books, sounds crazy because at my age I have used everything there is to use when it comes to power tools but never spent any time with the chainsaw, never needed too.

We bought this house and She loves it but I will not pay to burn wood, I like the idea that I won't get any bills for heating in the future but to do that I need to be cutting wood a lot quicker than I do with my wickes bargain of the month hand saw...it's killing me, I want to be off playing cards and stuff like that.

I will master the chainsaw, and in time I juggle them!

Haha

Lol, ya silly bugger. Juggling's a waste of good fuel. Sword swallowing with them is the preferred pastime of the efficionado!

Sounds like you'll be fine with common sense and a good attitude. As a fellow amateur I truly understand your fear and wariness of these 'killer machines', but in reality most of the nasty accidents must involve people with zero PPE, zero common sense, zero instruction or research, zero brain cells, and a flippant attitude to their own mortality.

I'd imagine for every minute we spend worrying about what's what and how we can survive our next cross-cut, there's some nobber in trackie bottoms and bare chest, wearing only trainers (no gloves) trying to fell a large Oak in some old dears garden on the sly to supplement their 'benefits'.

All using a stolen MS181 and a machete.