Chainsaw advise

Hunterdoncaster

Hello everyone, new to the forum and I'm after a bit of advise, been in the building game for over twenty years and never really needed to buy a chainsaw , the odd trees that I have had to remove I've usually hired one and got some of my lads to do it so I know very little about them.

Cut a long story short I've just bought a big old house with three open fires and We want to keep them which is obviously keeping me far too busy cutting up wood in my spare time so I'm after a chainsaw! (A well made one)

I've been reading a lot about them and I don't like to do things half cocked because I know they are a dangerous bit of kit so I'm thinking of doing a few courses on maintenance and felling too because it interests me .

What's baking my noodle is which chainsaw to get because a friend of mine has got a Stihl 200TCE and he says they only sell them to qualified tree surgeons ?

he let me have a go with it and I thought for the size of it, weight and how it performed was ideal for me but there are obviously a much more dangerous saw being top handled ....

After having a go with that little saw I felt a lot more at home with the top handle than the standard saws so would there be any harm me getting one any how?

just after a bit of advice really, don't think I will ever need to be chopping down 200ft oak trees but I do want a good saw that will last me a few years and as my old age creeps up on me I'm thinking of going down the gardening route too so I need a saw that will tackle a lot of jobs at work as well as cutting up and endless amount of fire wood home.

thanks in advance

Rob

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Predictably I'm going to say get a Makita DCS5121 18" promo pack in a nice steel box for around £335 delivered.

See where you go from there and buy something bigger if you need to in due course.

It's a well made saw for peanuts with a Magnesium crankcase and good power for firewood duties. Duncan_R has bought one which he's pleased with by all accounts, I own one and think it's a bargain.

If you like orange saws there will be many recommending the ubiquitous Husqvarna and Stihl models, but if you want an orange Makita get a Dolmar off Shavey or TCD.

I'll stand aside and wait for the mainstream suggestions to flood in.

Almost forgot to mention, give Echo and Solo a look in too. Some swear by Mitox for occasional use as they're cheap and have Wahlbro carbs. They're chinese made though so longer term might not hold up.

If you've just bought a big house with 3 fires you'll be doing nowt but cut wood. I'd get in touch with Tickhill barn dried logs and buy them nicely split and dry. If you desperately want to cut your own nip into Torne Valley and have a good fondle of what they have on the shelf. If you ask nicely they will more than likely match a web supplier!

If you've just bought a big house with 3 fires you'll be doing nowt but cut wood. I'd get in touch with Tickhill barn dried logs and buy them nicely split and dry. If you desperately want to cut your own nip into Torne Valley and have a good fondle of what they have on the shelf. If you ask nicely they will more than likely match a web supplier!

Tell me about it pal, haha, it's all I do, I've just had a load dropped off and I look at the pile at the bottom of the garden, ...then look at the hand saw...then look at the the pile again...

yeah Ive have had enough already, need a chainsaw!

Hi rob,

top handle saws are restricted because the handle placement (top and side) makes them less stable than a conventional back handle. its unusual that find them more comfortable than a back handle type, but you will soon get used to it!

There are many good saws available from the main brands but steer clear of the cheap chinese internet crap. buy from your local dealer where you can good support for the saw and have access to spares etc.

remember to include in your purchase some decent chainsaw ppe especially if you are going to be using the saw a lot. comfortable trousers and boots are more important than a saw with more power and bells and whistles than you need.

40-50 cc is enough power for your needs.

think about budget, allow approx £200 for some half decent ppe, whats left...you have to spend on a saw.

For a semi-pro/heavy domestic use saw, £400 upwards. cheaper saws available of course, a reasonable main brand domestic saw is around £200.

My reccomendation if ur feeling flush..a husky 545, (semi-pro/pro 50cc) Cheaper alternative 135 (35cc, good domestic).

Predictably I'm going to say get a Makita DCS5121 18" promo pack in a nice steel box for around £335 delivered.

See where you go from there and buy something bigger if you need to in due course.

It's a well made saw for peanuts with a Magnesium crankcase and good power for firewood duties. Duncan_R has bought one which he's pleased with by all accounts, I own one and think it's a bargain.

If you like orange saws there will be many recommending the ubiquitous Husqvarna and Stihl models, but if you want an orange Makita get a Dolmar off Shavey or TCD.

I'll stand aside and wait for the mainstream suggestions to flood in.

Almost forgot to mention, give Echo and Solo a look in too. Some swear by Mitox for occasional use as they're cheap and have Wahlbro carbs. They're chinese made though so longer term might not hold up.

Makita are good kit, I use there power tools and they last me years, didn't know they did Chainsaws but then again I didn't look .

Is 18" a good all round size then ? That little Stihl my friend had was only 12-14 max and cut threw some of the stumps in my garden like butter..

The Echo range are very good, as are the previous suggestions,if you intend using the saw now & then, and lay it up for a few weeks at a time it is worth finding a local Aspen fuel supplier local to you & running the saw on that, it is expensive, but in the grand scheme of things can work out beneficial to the saw & yourself, as it has a long shelf life, & contains no ethanol, which can degrade the fuel system,( rubber components).

If it were me I would be looking at Echo, makita, & dolmar saws as well as the two big brands, Stihl & husky, but myself I run Echo's & nowt else, they are reliable & cost effective.

Whatever you decide on run it by us here for the good & bad points.

As Gary said, the close proximity of the top handle to the carrying handle makes the control of these saws much more difficult and more likely not to control any kickback you may get.

They are designed for climbers and that is where they should stay. The temptation is to use them one handed and to hold the wood with the other hand.......not good practice!

First thing to do is get a budget together that should include a forestry helmet with ear and face protection.

A 50-60cc saw would do most of your wood and with decent speed. Once we know your budget, the type of saw you can get will be a simpler decision.