How to store tree whips?

spandit

I've just had an email saying my second tree order has been dispatched but I'm going away on business until Wednesday so won't be able to plant them.

Should I try to get my wife to heel them in or are they likely to survive for a few days? I can get her to water the roots to stop them drying out but it depends on how they're packaged, I suppose

I got mine (all 6,000 of them!) on Christmas eve. They were in plastic bags so we put them indoors, made sure the tops of all the bags were closed in and then heeled them in between Christmas and the new year.

Talking to the supplier at the time,he said as long as the bags were closed they could have sat happily enough for a month!

I think as long as they are kept moist and no frost they're generally OK.

Short term as said if its cold up to a month in bags. However they can go mouldy with a mildew white effect. Which can go too far.

Sometimes heeling in is ineffective because if they are in bundles the center plants have no moisture contact with soil. If heeling in long term open the bundles and spread them in the trench.

Vigour does fade with prolonged periods out the ground.

You can only do you best. Hardy plants are a resilient bunch.

Don't unwrap them as they'll be well wrapped for travel. Put somewhere cool but frost free and they'll be fine for a few days. I do that regularly as can only plant at weekends. I only heel into the vegetable bed if it's going to be more than a week. Don't let them dry out, don't lay them out in the sun and soak roots in a bucket of water for an hour before you plant them.

they will be fine in a shed/ garage if they are wrapped up well, i wouldnt water them at the moment, in case frost gets them, if you have any hay or straw around, whack some in around the roots if you want to go belt and braces