Coppice Ash

Well, I answered your original post a few replies back - I'd move on with a species you know will return on your investment.

Coppice Walnut, err, no I don't think that would work.

Would you suggest planting an apple orchard to a Scotsman?? Perigord and Brittany not the same region nor have the same native species.

I strongly suggest you read the ORIGINAL post before you take to the keyboard as it was ASH coppice I was referring to... not WALNUT! I am aware of the valuable properties of WALNUT and annually take full advantage of said species but my OP had nothing to do with walnut or investment. Take up banking if investment is your sole interest.

"TREES PLANTED 6 YEARS AGO". I state again for the "hard of understanding" and the original post; "PS I'm well aware of the Ash die back issue but it has not hit hard here yet so please don't tell me to simply tear them all out". Hopefully you can extrapolate from that clearly stated text I am not interested in your personal views regarding Ash Die Back.

Thanks to the original helpful previous posters:001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Greengui, have tried different heights when coppicing maidens and found that knee high or 0.5m high got browsed by rabbits they even sat on top and left messages.

Unless it's a very large diameter, old coppice stool, i keep near to ground as possible, seems to give best straight regrowth. What are you hoping your future ash coppice will be sold as, by the way?

High pollards might be option, but are future headache in my opinion.

Greengui, have tried different heights when coppicing maidens and found that knee high or 0.5m high got browsed by rabbits they even sat on top and left messages.

Unless it's a very large diameter, old coppice stool, i keep near to ground as possible, seems to give best straight regrowth. What are you hoping your future ash coppice will be sold as, by the way?

High pollards might be option, but are future headache in my opinion.

Thanks Logan, thats very useful. Someone who has actually done it!

• 2 weeks later...