Coppice Ash

Gathered up these wee fellas this morning for planting in the next week or two, reckon there's maybe a couple of dozen of them.

Going to make a bit of extra effort for them and glyphosphate a good circle around where they're going in to give them as good a start as possible. If I haven't enough spaces I'll plant between rows and then thin around them in future if necessary.

That's all I can do for now.

ash.jpg.0301f1a9cd861766438b551cccba43b5.jpg

Go for it wrsni, its all any of us can do. They grow like weeds here, probably the same where you are.

Sudden Oak Death, Ash Die Back, Dutch Elm, Sweet Chestnut Maladie (has the UK got that one yet?)....they just keep coming. There's so much fear and Schadenfreude if we worried about all of it we would plant nothing, then where would the future wood cutters be??

Gathered up these wee fellas this morning for planting in the next week or two, reckon there's maybe a couple of dozen of them.

Going to make a bit of extra effort for them and glyphosphate a good circle around where they're going in to give them as good a start as possible. If I haven't enough spaces I'll plant between rows and then thin around them in future if necessary.

That's all I can do for now.

Could you show some close ups please they look infected.

They grow like weeds here, probably the same where you are.

Aye, and leads everyone to take them for granted because of it (including myself in the past).

One side of the woodland is bounded by our north/south railway line which has a lot of ash running along it so I'm hoping there'll be a degree of stuff self-seed in the woodland itself from that.

If they're infected with die-back then it'll be a major thing as there's been no cases here yet of the infection transmitting over to native plants. The only cases so far have been on imported nursery grown stock which presumably came here with it.

If they're infected with die-back then it'll be a major thing as there's been no cases here yet of the infection transmitting over to native plants. The only cases so far have been on imported nursery grown stock which presumably came here with it.

We are finding the disease has been here a lot longer than everyone thinks but for some reason has shown no symptoms for years. Your plants do not look good. It's not all about diamond lesions it's also general appearance usually twisted growth and a bulbous primary bud where the disease went in the previous summer. I just see it pointless to be planting these trees when it will wipe them out. We have so many diseases that I am now pretty much anti planting anything.

We are finding the disease has been here a lot longer than everyone thinks but for some reason has shown no symptoms for years. Your plants do not look good. It's not all about diamond lesions it's also general appearance usually twisted growth and a bulbous primary bud where the disease went in the previous summer. I just see it pointless to be planting these trees when it will wipe them out. We have so many diseases that I am now pretty much anti planting anything.

Plant nothing and best case is nothing grows. Plant something and worse case is nothing grows. if you have the time then why not at least try?

With something like ash dieback disease you are wasting time and money. Tree planting in General is the cause of some of these tree diseases movement of plants around the world not good. Tree planting in a forestry sense no longer economic and less so with the future with no planting grants. Grow what appears naturally.

Your plants do not look good.

Sure they don't, they've self seeded in all sorts of random places. Those particular ones came from a small area between the concrete slab of the lane and a high hedge. They've seeded in a mixture of dirt and beech leaf mulch that's been swept and blown off the lane over the years which made them very easy to pull with a minimum of root damage. It's also heavily shaded over the summer which has presumably helped keep the mixture damp and helped with germination and growth.

So they're not straight or pretty, but they're also as natural as a sapling could ever be. Whether it makes a difference or not, time will tell. But like I said, for now it's all I personally can do.