Coppice Ash

Most of them will probably have been run over by silage trailers, slurry tankers, various items of farm machinery, or even nicked off a time or two in the past with the strimmer before I decided they should have a new purpose in life from now on.

Like I said, these ones will be getting special attention and therefore I'll be keeping an eye on them. If they all die I'll know to do something different next time, until then I'm prepared to spend the time.

Ash are tough as old boots. They look like the ones I dig up and plant in my wood. They grow away like crazy after a year. I agree that I wouldn't buy 1000 ash and 1000 tree shelter and pay £100's to have them planted. Can't see the harm in a few transplants if like me you don't have much ash in your wood.

Back to OP. Coppice at 6" from ground and control rabbits locally with terrier, ferrets, guns, drop traps, snares. It's part of the job. Low pollards will not produce great stem regrowth and look sloppy IMO. I'd agree that ash is a rather wasted investment. Walnut if you want something to tend worthwhile, and use the eventual revenue to buy firewood.

Back to OP. Coppice at 6" from ground and control rabbits locally with terrier, ferrets, guns, drop traps, snares. It's part of the job. Low pollards will not produce great stem regrowth and look sloppy IMO. I'd agree that ash is a rather wasted investment. Walnut if you want something to tend worthwhile, and use the eventual revenue to buy firewood.

I suppose life expectancies are rising... you might be able to sell that walnut and buy firewood on your 200th birthday!

Can't see the harm in a few transplants if like me you don't have much ash in your wood.

Only ash in it is what's been planted in this way but had over 2,000 of them ordered when the ash ban came in.

I'm not actually sorry as I've ended up with a much more interesting area but I'd still like to have some ash in it and also consider it important to try and do whatever possible to support the species in my own miniscule way given what may be ahead.

I suppose life expectancies are rising... you might be able to sell that walnut and buy firewood on your 200th birthday!

You must think I'm really stupid, huh? :laugh1:I wasn't thinking of the timber, but the nuts. In Perigord, they use every last but, right down to crushed shells as cat litter. 8 - 15 years should do the trick. Or just eat them yourself - one of the healthiest foods going.

Back to OP. I'd agree that ash is a rather wasted investment. Walnut if you want something to tend worthwhile, and use the eventual revenue to buy firewood.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing - they have been in the ground 6 years, long before Chalara made an appearance over here.

My question was about coppicing. As I stated to begin with I am not interested in another discussion about Chalara, I have already done the research on that subject. Thats not aimed at you personally growforest btw.

You must think I'm really stupid, huh? :laugh1:I wasn't thinking of the timber, but the nuts. In Perigord, they use every last but, right down to crushed shells as cat litter. 8 - 15 years should do the trick. Or just eat them yourself - one of the healthiest foods going.

Touché. Yeah good shout. We need more nut trees :thumbup:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing - they have been in the ground 6 years, long before Chalara made an appearance over here.

My question was about coppicing. As I stated to begin with I am not interested in another discussion about Chalara, I have already done the research on that subject. Thats not aimed at you personally growforest btw.

Fair enough but why do you want to bother coppicing with this on your horizon?

Coppicing will just encourage faster infection.

Well, I answered your original post a few replies back - I'd move on with a species you know will return on your investment.