At a crossroads, can anyone help?

luke_mclachlan

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Therin lies your problem with the suppliers. There are so many variables in each different product/supplier and you are asking them to trust you to input all the variables correctly for their products and do the same for every other supplier. I cant see how you can put all suppliers in there......dodgy dave and his wet logs is not going to appear is he?

Even once you have created the database of suppliers/products, how does the comparision weight each variable? If the supplier does not understand it then they wont participate in fear of letting someone else damage their business?

Developing apps is the easy, albeit costly bit. Getting people to use them and suppliers to support them, particularly if you are asking suppliers to pay to be on it.....and if you are not asking for payment and its free, then people don't think its going to be much good!

Life''s a bitch!

dodgy dave will certainly not be allowed to participate. i'm going to have to impose some rules, just like Rightmove does by allowing only registered businesses to feature on their site. You've made a very good point there.

the only product I'll have a weight problem with is a volume based product, in other words firewood, as briquettes and pellets are sold according to weight. The weight for firewood depends on the type of stacking, species and moisture content, so what I've done is to create a database of weights based on a large and ever growing series of samples. In the beginning I simply copied statistics from official publications, but surprisingly these differed greatly from field data.

Of utmost importance to me is the credibility of the data I use to calculate weights and kilowatt-hour figures. So, for example, I'm working with a university to calculate calorific values for a broad range of species, and of course for a range of moisture values.

I'm going to have to see how suppliers react and adjust based on their feedback. I now have four nationwide suppliers that are willing to work with me in this test phase. Only when I have a product that suppliers feel happy with will I take pay. And that's a long way from now.

Thanks for your input. I'm taking everything people write into consideration. all the negative, all the reservations, they're important to me so thanks.

hmmm, is that the same as enjoying the spoils of victory? in which case I think this will be a battle that lasts for a good 18-months.

hope I haven't misunderstood you !?

Luke I was really just at a loss as to why you were doing this and wondered where along the line it would allow you a slice of the the profit , was it your intention to become a regulated broker or certified supplier of biomass?

Is the readily available info like this not accurate enough ? Typical calorific values of fuels . Please dont think I am picking at this because I am not, I am curious and genuinely interested in what you are doing.

Bob

Luke I was really just at a loss as to why you were doing this and wondered where along the line it would allow you a slice of the the profit , was it your intention to become a regulated broker or certified supplier of biomass?

Is the readily available info like this not accurate enough ? Typical calorific values of fuels . Please dont think I am picking at this because I am not, I am curious and genuinely interested in what you are doing.

Bob

Hi Bob, I'm really not sure what this could return, or when it will return it. Right now I'm just seeing if it's possible to create an acceptable model, then I'll look to monetize it. Longer term this service will incorporate all forms of domestic renewable energy.

This renewable energy industry is an exciting area. I like to tread my own path and make use of my past experiences. Statistics, maths, algorithms are more my thing (working in the forex industry) so if I can create a model that allows consumers to compare renewable energy products at the click of a button, just like they can gas and electricity, then I think this world will be a better place. What makes this exciting for me is that this type of model doesn't exist anywhere in the world. It's a nice challenge.

I'm not looking to do what biomassenergycentre do. Their figures are probably averages and biomass prices across the UK deviate significantly from the average. It's an excellent information resource for newcomers, but it won't help them find suppliers. Mine will, and it will tell them exactly what they get for their money. That's the plan anyway :thumbup1:

• 1 month later...

Hi Luke,

Just saw your post. Very clever idea. I see your problem with comparing like for like. A lot of producers are signing up to the woodsure scheme, with is veted by HETAS. This maybe something worth discussing with them.

Not sure about the suppliers comments about a price war. What you would be offering would be no different to a broker for biomass on a larger scale. There's alway a market price and transparency is no bad thing.

Hi

I suspect by the reaction of "this isn't a good thing for the industry" what they really mean is that it will in turn drive prices down, thus reducing their margins.

Generally you have to go with your gut feeling on stuff like this, Id publish & be dammed you may be able to make revenue from advertising on the site.

N

I lose alot of potential customers already to cheaper merchants, had someone email monday no logs left that would burn the usual supplier is now supplying logs 30%+mc can we supply max 20% core reading so I mess about splitting the stuff to get accurate readings 17.5% 19.8% 17.8% and they come back we will keep you in mind next time we need logs

anyway point I wanted to make was this sounds like just an excuse to make money from merchants by creating another list that's not really necessary to be on but you will have to get on just in case there's already ENplus or woodsure for quality control.

Hi Luke It sounds a good idea presumable aimed at the firewood market if I understand correctly. However if my local area and producers are representative then most sell by truck load. I think you might be up against it trying to get these guys included. The ones I know are all well thought of by their customers and therefore do many repeat orders. I see no incentive for them or their customers to get involved. Only complaint I have heard was from someone who bought a dumpy bag load. I think your biggest problem is the huge variety of ways logs are sold by quantity. Transit tipper, hilux, truck with a purpose built body and the variety of big bags including old builders bags. I don't know the answer for you but this might be a big part of your problem. I don't suppose many customers would measure the delivery truck and calculate volume although it might make for an interesting encounter with the seller. Good luck with it though.