Newby needs training advice

Ron Burgundy

Hello everyone, my first post on this site so here goes.

I thought I saw a place where I could introduce myself earlier, but seem to have lost sight of it as I have trawled through looking for other things.

I am not a tree worker as such, although I have had the fortunate chance to work with trees in the past and have probably done more than my lack of knowledge in that area should allow. With this in mind, and the fact that I really enjoy working outside and particularly in amongst the trees, I am looking to get some training - and just as importantly I expect, some qualifications (those Bureaucrats love pieces of paper with numbers and letters on them and I am getting old enough and cynical enough to understand that an idiot with these papers stands more chance of progress than anyone without).

There should be a good chance of work for me when I get a start so I am keen to get going.

Trouble is I haven't worked out where I am starting yet and although this forum appears to be an absolute minefield of useful info I haven't yet worked out how to read it efficiently. Can anyone tell me about or point me to where I can find out about what I need?

1. I want to firstly be able to fell smaller trees (which I have done, but need to learn more about)
  2. Then I would like to become a climber (which again is something I have some small experience of, but again need to learn much more about before taking any further)
  3. Then I would be looking at felling bigger trees and progressing with other forms of tree work and forestry.
  4. Lastly (for now) I would like to learn about woodland management

I don't actually mean I want to do all that at once, but it seems like a sensible progression and I would like to get started as soon as possible. I am aware it wont necessarily be cheap, but that has been accounted for.

Thankyou in advance for any replies.

howdy mate,what age are you and what is your financial situation..if you are 18 and live with mum and dad then go to college and have a blast..if you have bills and family ties then get a job and just get stuck in and work yourway up, start labouring dragging brash and if you are good you will be encouraged to pick up a saw etc etc, then its a matter of sitting your tickets...when you are ready

i was 24 when i went back to college and now i am a fully quallified arborist. if you cant face taking that much time out of work then i'd go for the tickets while working as the little brother of shrek has suggested. i was lucky enough to save money to go to college but if this isn't possible then drag brash rain or shine and smile and obey whenever someone asks you to do something.

good luck mate and welcome to arbtalk

Hi Ron,

As the others guys said, its either college, work experience or short courses depending on how you are fixed financially.

The progressions scenario you describe should/would more or less be the natural path you would follow as you gain confidence and experience.

Enthusiam is the best starting point and from there you can learn all that you need

Ron,You havnt said what part of the country your from?, I know alot of people dislike utility arb but at least you will be put through your tickets & get the experience of tree work(be it the dark side of tree work,lol).

If your southern based get in touch with Scottish-Southern Electric as they are recruiting at present & it states no experience needed.the vacancy if advertised at http://www.trees.org.uk/classifieds & closing date is 24th july.

Good luck

Alright, looks like I am going to have to say a bit more about myself.

I am mid(to late)-twenties, not married and live in Oxfordshire. I wont say what I do for a living, but to tease you all I will say that I work predominantly at weekends, I only work when I feel like it, it pays well enough and is flexible enough that I can go to college at the drop of a hat. Indoor work though and I miss the fresh air (and the routine).

So realistically a 2 or 3 month college course would suit me perfectly to start with.

Had I got into this at a younger age I would have happily gone through the groundwork, work your way through thing, but as I am a bit older I would rather get a move on and do it off my own back. Would have to find job/employer etc as well that wasn't going to waste my time.

Seems to me like it is CS30 and CS31 then 33 and 38 or something similar that I am looking at, but all these codes give me a headache and I think I will come back and have another look a bit later.

youre a stripper!

try a 10week course at somewhere like merrist wood, near guildford, you will get your 4 basic tickets

cs30/31 (saw maintenance and small fell)

cs38/39(climbing tickets)

2days theory-covering all the basics from tree identification, to biology, a day doing maintenance including tractors, chippers, saws, and 2 days practicle doing climbing/felling (a week)

some people will slate the 10week option, as they think its too short, but if youre a natural, it will give you a fantastic insight to the industry and quite a bit of knowledge, a good foundation to base yourself on, for all aspects of tree surgery/forestry