Stihlmadd vids

stihlmadd

Like Dirty Harry says Reg!

A man's gotta know his limits!

I'll leave the punky old rotten conifers to a demolitions team thank you.

Gotta winch on your Cruiser Ben.

I've gotta 12K Warner winch tucked under the back of my toy that's been mighty handy over three decades now.

Pulled many a stuck chiptruck outta the mud too.

Couldn't imagine goin to work without my truck!

Half a million miles n four engines so far.

Jomoco

Great pics n work Reg!

I can't quite believe you do monster removals like that for less than 5 bills a day though!

Say it ain't so Reg!

Jomoco

when I was contracting ? sure. I never charged more or less for the degree of difficulty. Its all in a days work. And treework is very cheap out here Jon

G'day Reg, thankyou for the props :thumbup1:

I do get paid fairly well for a contract climber and do charge extra for really big or dangerous trees and for crane work.

as to having a plan No, other than short term purchases I wish to make to increase my equipment range (ms150, grcs and a whinch for the cruiser and of course more ropes and toys)

I am not with a longer term plan for my future and am starting to feel the need to create a more sustainable future for my self.

I have registered my own business name but if I am contracting as you have pointed out I am not using my own name on my videos as I do not feel it is entirely fair and also would like to keep my business name separate from the other companies work.

but yeah am making some guys look real good when the reality is less so.

any advice you have I am all ears.

cheers Ben.

Meant to right something this morning but had to go to work.

I too contract climb and put vids on youtube accrediting the companies i am working for. I am also slowly setting up by myself and reg is right if you are staying put you will end up with more money, the only issue i find is getting the phone to ring (i live in a small rural community where word of mouth and being local are important neither of which i have, well a little word of mouth very powerful in fact). Also on the days that a contract climber is in they are one of the main assets, but you will not need one of them.

I don't begrudge anyone for having work, and i work for many different firms, but it seems a bit wrong that there are so many about that can't handle the "difficult" jobs. At the end of the day they are businesses using their assets to get the job done, and as fun as climbing trees is it is about earning money to pay the bills really.

Meant to right something this morning but had to go to work.

I too contract climb and put vids on youtube accrediting the companies i am working for. I am also slowly setting up by myself and reg is right if you are staying put you will end up with more money, the only issue i find is getting the phone to ring (i live in a small rural community where word of mouth and being local are important neither of which i have, well a little word of mouth very powerful in fact). Also on the days that a contract climber is in they are one of the main assets, but you will not need one of them.

I don't begrudge anyone for having work, and i work for many different firms, but it seems a bit wrong that there are so many about that can't handle the "difficult" jobs. At the end of the day they are businesses using their assets to get the job done, and as fun as climbing trees is it is about earning money to pay the bills really.

The times I do work on my own bids I am surprised on how much money I can make doing (in my eyes) a relative easy and not dangerous job) for the same time spent contracting to another company.

the real kicker is the truck and chipper and while I can organise a skip bin or another company to chip for me it adds extra levels of complexity and costs to the job again dropping the chances of a successful bid price when competing with other tree companies who own the plant / equipment.

climbing skills is not the issue the money def is.

whats your youtube channel called OllyB?

The times I do work on my own bids I am surprised on how much money I can make doing (in my eyes) a relative easy and not dangerous job) for the same time spent contracting to another company.

the real kicker is the truck and chipper and while I can organise a skip bin or another company to chip for me it adds extra levels of complexity and costs to the job again dropping the chances of a successful bid price when competing with other tree companies who own the plant / equipment.

climbing skills is not the issue the money def is.

whats your youtube channel called OllyB?

I also had no money to start up with.

I had been freelancing short stints in Oslo, Norway for almost double pay, to supplement my wage (which was not enough to support my family) however the exchange rates changed and this was no longer a viable option as it had been for 2-3 years previous. So i had to do something.

My strategy was not conventional i guess, only owning a hatchback car i launched a website then improvised, using friends with trailers, local farmers, fires, hiring chippers whatever got the job done really. Priced the jobs to what i could do them for if i had a van and chipper and did them at the weekend (so i still had my freelance wage) most of the jobs i made money on, some i broke even, none cost me money. After a little while somebody i hadn't seen for years came out the woodwork with a tipping trailer and a 4" gravity fed chipper, chipper a bit small but this worked well, used him for a while gave him half the money off the jobs. Now i have a tipping van and seem to of secured use of a small tow behind chipper1-2 days a week under very reasonable terms. Saving up for a deposit for a chipper now. That is my journey, it has been/ is hard working 6/7 days a week all pricing, paper work, organising and maintenance done in the evenings. I think i had a little bit of luck as well, but after being freelance for a long time and being settled in the same area too it appears other arbs are almost falling over themselves to help (I didn't realise i knew so many people but i have always treated my colleagues well). I have lost one freelance client but now having a tipper have gained another.

My youtube channel is OBtrees, I clearly accredit the firms that i am doing freelance work for and don't currently make a big deal out of my firm (but have embedded the vids of my own jobs on my website) treading gently as my bread and butter is freelance still. I guess one day i may stand alone but i am happily mixing my own jobs with freelance work and all seems ok for now.

• 2 weeks later...