Do you charge more for commercial work

Dryad's saddle

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree..

A three man team with truck and chipper at £900 a day would be good going. I'd send 5 guys (or even 6) including 2 climbers, 2 tipper trucks, a 3.5 ton tipper trailer and a 10 inch chipper for £900 a day. All things being equal and assuming you have a 6 inch of 7 inch chipper, we would probably get the job done in 2 days therefore would have quoted £1800 + VAT so yes you are way out...

Too cheap, driving the price down of arb work

You are spot on there.

Pricing is always a contentious issue. Especially on here. Your costs are your costs. Most of us know roughly how long something will take to do, with the odd mistake, one way or another.

There are a lot of variables, not just in our(collective) costs.

Without actually seeing the site it's difficult to judge. Some jobs are better suited to small crews, some to bigger ones. If you only have a small crew, that's how you price. It's not right or wrong, just different.

If one person feels it's going to take 5 days for his crew and equipment and his costs are £300/day/man that's what he'll charge.

It's not all about profit either. Wage costs between companies varies and also the amount of training and staff progression and kit replacement.

If he didn't get the job, fantastic. He'll have learnt something or been gifted not working for a company that may not rate what our industry provides.

Can't win them all, (and don't want to).

I disagree..

A three man team with truck and chipper at £900 a day would be good going. I'd send 5 guys (or even 6) including 2 climbers, 2 tipper trucks, a 3.5 ton tipper trailer and a 10 inch chipper for £900 a day. All things being equal and assuming you have a 6 inch of 7 inch chipper, we would probably get the job done in 2 days therefore would have quoted £1800 + VAT so yes you are way out...

genuinely all that tackle & men & fuel experience etc for £900 a day :confused1: correct me if i am wrong but i always thought the more men & equipment on site = more £££...If you are right and that is what we are up against then i would be far better off doing piss tiny back garden jobs at £100 a throw.

genuinely all that tackle & men & fuel experience etc for £900 a day :confused1: correct me if i am wrong but i always thought the more men & equipment on site = more £££...If you are right and that is what we are up against then i would be far better off doing piss tiny back garden jobs at £100 a throw.

Well said!!!

I disagree..

That would be considered burning the arse out of the industry down this way. I get your point about loading up with men and kit to get the job done quicker.

Around here 2/300 per man, per day is good going. Some charge more for commercial work, or at least the top end of that scale.

Your figure for 5 guys plus kit of 900 per day equates to 180 per man, per day. 6 guys plus kit on site is 150 per man/per day.

Hence my comment in the first paragraph. I don't know your cost but the kit you list has to be paid for / has already been paid for, from somewhere.

And that is exactly what i do these days. :thumbup1: More money in dem little back gardens

If I was earning 900 a day for 6 men and equipment Id come out of self employment and go work in a factory....honestly. It must be hard where you are if thats what prices have been driven down to.. thats crazy

Yep, with two tippers, a trailer and chipper etc seems suicidally cheap, but if it works for him who am I to argue