PTO log splitter, horizontal or vertical?

Yorkie

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a horizontal and a vertical splitter, horizontal is Hand, vertical is Oxdale. They both split 18" and that is the length I want.

I prefer to use the horizontal but that is mostly down to it being 4 way rather than 2 way like the Oxdale. Other than that I don't really see a massive amount of difference and will probably come down to personal preference.

One thing I will say is that I can't imagine wanting a horizontal that pushes the blade into the wood, I would only want one that pushes the wood into the blade. ie. blade on end of splitter rather than blade on the ram.

Oh and a question for Horizontal splitter owners who make 1mtr billets and split shorter rounds.

On my thor, I can swap on a splitting table for shorter rounds, and it has this neat little chain that one can attach to adjust how far the auto return on the ram travels. Can this be done on Horizontal splitter as well??

so two days , two totally different types of wood.

last Friday was nice straight softwood pine about 15 inch diameter.

today on hardwood s at around 18-24 inch diameter.

all is billeted to 18 inch length ready for the boiler.

so I was hoping on people's opinion on the best sort of splitter, horizontal or vertical based on people's experience. what are the pros and cons of both types.

I have no practical experience of horizontal splitters but have viewed hundreds of YouTube clips on the subject and cannot understand their attraction. There seems to be much more handling with them and Rowan Lee's point on accuracy is very valid. I operate a Thor vertical and much of my work is producing neater sized logs for smaller stoves. When splitting say, 12 inch rings, I split it 3 times, turn it 90 degrees, then split again 3 times giving me 16 logs which I scoop up in one armful and deposit in its final resting location for seasoning. I can't imagine a horizontal being as accurate or as efficient. With longer billets, surely it is easier to lift one end to split vertically with the bottom end being at ground level than having to lift the entire log onto a horizontal position. An interesting debate.