Felling towards fences

Peat

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thinking will, but unfortunatly its not gonna work here. The situation is a bit more complex than I said. I manage the woodlands on the site - the customers are my landlords. Most of the trees are already going to be dismantled coz theres a power line within striking distance of the majority of the trees.

The landowners got a quote from a tree surgery firm for a grand for three days work to do the lot, which seems pretty great to me and quick considering wots there. The landowners didn't want to pay it and asked me to do it, so i'm getting my climber mate in to dismantle but only for three days which I don't reckon will be enough to dismantle them all enough to avoid destroying the fence... having said all that i've realised that I haven't actually asked the landowners if they'll pay for a new fence, just assumed they wouldn't coz they're tight as anything. Just wondered if there was a nice easy trick I was missing.

Cheers

My advice would be walk away sounds like a whole load of trouble waiting to happen. He is a landowner knows what things cost and won't cough up a grand:lol:

Can you use a winch and backward leaning cuts to get them in space?

Or have a pull line setup through a pulley to match a 2:1 fiddle block type system and fell them into space?

Alternatively spend first day dismantling all the ones your worried about and then tackle the ones that seem easier with less targets to hit?

Or can you get a cherry picker in to help with dismantling?

Edited by A Pettersen-Firewood&Chip

What we are saying IS, if the timber is for milling fell trucks in full length rather that clog down and make it worthless. So fence should be taken down first or slackened.

What difference does it make if it's been felled or dismantled if there's a piece of timber in there that looks worthy of going through a mill it's going to get saved.

I did a job on a caravan park yesterday and a chainsaw carver wanted the main trunk in one piece and that's how he had it tree dismantled trunk dropped.

Location wire fences or how it's been done make no difference in my eyes:001_smile:

I've felled a lot of trees leaning over fences and walls by sticking a wire rope round them and pulling them where I want them to land with the tractor. Does the job till I can afford a winch. Maybe an option for you depending on how much room you have to work in and whether you have a tractor