Green Party on a green surge....

SteveA

I do wonder if people who say they'll vote green have actually read through their policies. There's plenty to like but also plenty that'll just cause all sorts of problems. From a forestry point of view they wish to stop shooting, so what are you meant to do about deer, squirrel or rabbit numbers if you have a problem - talk nicely to them? :001_rolleyes:

I think you're wrong Paul,

Policy CY502, in the Countryside section of their document says that humane methods of killing animals for pest control will be required.That means shooting is fine, surely :thumbup:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you're wrong Paul,

Policy CY502, in the Countryside section of their document says that humane methods of killing animals for pest control will be required.That means shooting is fine, surely :thumbup:

Nope

AR421 To extend the 1911 Protection of Animals Act to protect both captive and non-captive animals from unnecessary suffering. This will be used to prohibit hunting with hounds, shooting, snaring, coursing and various other abuses of our animal population. The Green Party is fundamentally opposed to all blood-sports. We oppose the killing of, or infliction of pain or suffering upon, animals in the name of sport or leisure, and will work to end all such practices.

AR422 To amend the Firearms Act to prohibit the use and private ownership of firearms and lethal weapons, such as air rifles, crossbows, etc., except on registered premises.

It also just doesn't add up. Their forestry policy looks great initially, 8% woodland cover goes up to 25%, yey! Their farming policy also looks good, less pesticides and artificial fertiliser, great I'm pro-organic. But how are they going to grow all the food? I expect they also want to import less food as well.

Nope

It also just doesn't add up. Their forestry policy looks great initially, 8% woodland cover goes up to 25%, yey! Their farming policy also looks good, less pesticides and artificial fertiliser, great I'm pro-organic. But how are they going to grow all the food? I expect they also want to import less food as well.

It says "...for sport or leisure" shooting squirrels, rabbits, etc is pest control.

In reality putting all the Green Party policy into place is never going to happen overnight & I think could be quite damaging in certain instances.

eg, an outright immediate ban on all pesticides could result in less food (initially), but with time we can ween ourselves off the chemicals as we introduce less mono-culture/ intensive farming and get back to having smaller farms/ local food production.

It says "...for sport or leisure" shooting squirrels, rabbits, etc is pest control.

In reality putting all the Green Party policy into place is never going to happen overnight & I think could be quite damaging in certain instances.

eg, an outright immediate ban on all pesticides could result in less food (initially), but with time we can ween ourselves off the chemicals as we introduce less mono-culture/ intensive farming and get back to having smaller farms/ local food production.

Are you ready to spend half your income on food???

Does it? That's a different sentence so I'm not sure and for many woodland owners selling off stalking rights to people who do it for pleasure raises essential income and manages the population. A fair bit of new woodland is currently planted for game cover. It's also going to be hard to shoot pests if private ownership of guns is banned.

Does it? That's a different sentence so I'm not sure and for many woodland owners selling off stalking rights to people who do it for pleasure raises essential income and manages the population. A fair bit of new woodland is currently planted for game cover. It's also going to be hard to shoot pests if private ownership of guns is banned.

Yes you are right - it is a different sentence.... I think that needs to be written clearer. Cheers, I'll point it out.

The policy was last updated in 1990 and I know they are working hard to fine tune it all/ as we speak.... but I imagine it will take time due to the amount of policy in place. It'll be good to see the policy progress with the recent increase in members as I believe it will become more balanced.

"except for registered premises" ....so I imagine farmers, woodland owners, pest management companies would need to register themselves.

Totally agree with you both Kevin and Stewmo - I think thats why we should all be doing something different at the coming election, like voting Green.

I will be doing something different!

Labour vote - no, there's not much there that appeals to me anymore.

Tory vote - no, local MP is a total and complete muppet, not while the current foreign aid budget is ring fenced and set to increase, not while the badger cull is supported.

Lib Dem vote - no, (why bother) although I do think they have achieved more as a party by being in a coalition than they ever could have hoped to on their own terms. Can't quite understand why they are getting such a slating from within - Clegg has achieved more than any other Lib Dem leader, they should, logically, be riding high :confused1:

Green - no, although the anti-fracking stance is appealing.

So what does that leave - MRLP????

"except for registered premises" ....so I imagine farmers, woodland owners, pest management companies would need to register themselves.

I don't think it means that as that's basically the current arrangement. I think they mean gun clubs have to have all the firearms kept on site and that idea was floated a few years ago and was dropped when people realised how daft it was.

Again, clarification is needed which leads to the conclusion it's rather pointless producing large number of policies if they're open to interpretation.