Honey fungus resistance

sloth

I know how you feel, the knowledge displayed in some posts leaves my intellect cowering in the corner! And with a 4yo and a nearly 3yo, and a 3 month old, all to be home schooled, and wife with health problems, and paid work to do, time is my biggest 'holder backer' too.

I'm in Essex and would likely do it through tree life, I guess at Harlow if they still run the course there- probably a bit far for you!

Well that cheered me up (excluding the health issues), if I thought I had time pressures, they are nothing compared to yours with 3x little ones! 😳

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read somewhere years ago the HF transports oxygen along the bootlaces so it can grow in an oxygen poor environment, even water filled xylem vessels. This is what makes it actively pathogenic

Any idea where this came from, or does anyone have a reference for this? Just asking because I've never come across it.

http://www.unsworks.unsw.edu.au/primo_library/libweb/action/dlDisplay.do?vid=UNSWORKS&docId=unsworks_979

A. luteabubalina is referenced in this 2006 abstract, it suggests that specific structures (air pores) grow up from the rhizomorphs and differentiate to have a somewhat cylindrical nature to allow oxygen diffusion to the mycellium and rhizomorphs below.

Also in Fungal Strategies of Wood Decay in Trees, Schwarzenegger says on p.120, of Armillaria being able to decay saturated wood "these observations agree with the results of Metzler (1994) who detected degradation by Armillaria on water saturated wood, where the fungus clearly forms radial canals or channels in order to maintain contact with the air outside."

So a little different to wet soil, but the same principle applies.

Also I noted that he suggests infection through roots occurs through woody larger diameter roots or grafts, rather that the fibrous roots - as such mycorhizal fungi offer no direct protection from it. I guess it's not that black and white, as the myco fungi could still gain territory of other food sources within the rooting zone, preventing the honey fungus from using it.

Deeper into the rabbit hole, curiouser and curiouser...

Hi Sloth/Kev,

I always find both of your posts interesting and informative so Kev no cowering to be done at all mate. :thumbup:

It probably is L6 in reality but I read it when doing tech cert years ago. I quickly realised when I started L6 that I seriously over read for TC, especially on tree health. There is a lot of strategic stuff in the L6 as well which I didn't like the sound of but loved it once I got into it.

In reality this fungi stuff isn't really my thing, I like the planning and subs debates so I usually leave the fungi to folk better informed such as David and Tony.

L6 is great, really changes your outlook professionally so go for it. My 2 year old was born 3 months into my first year and it is tough but if you stick at it you can get there. 3 kids would be heavy duty though. Expect to work every night for at least 3 hours and aim to meet the AC. Don't over read, you will fall behind. Its very tempting sometimes.

Gaz, ask dave about the ref for that O2 transport. It was Andy that first put me onto back when I was doing TC years ago. He may still know the ref.