Honey fungus resistance

sloth

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose the thing with resistance is it isn't an immunity. Funny things fungi, refuse to fit neatly into the boxes us mere mortals assign them to.

Kevin, I guess it could go either way. But I'd have thought an historical accumulation of dead woody material throught the upper soil horizons would be more likely to contain a range of possibly beneficial micro organisms than a pile or two of freshly dead, as yet relatively 'sterile' wood; which Armillaria might quite like to entangle with its rhizomorphs...

Makes sense :thumbup1:

This is slightly tangential but does anyone have a view on this:

AA Field Guide Fungi on Trees page 12, Impact/Effect/Significance paragraph

"...The fungus can spread from colonised stumps and roots to surrounding trees, particularly if there is a lack of natural suppression, in the form of fallen deadwood, colonised by other (beneficial) decay fungi performing natural control..."

Would it be a fair/sound assumption that installing stacked deadwood in the vicinity of Honey fungus infected trees might encourage beneficial control fungi which might have a suppressing effect or might it just provide further growth medium for the Honey fungus???

I think the natural control they speak of would be mychorrhiza which is more common in better quality soil. Having deadwood slowly rotting away must encourage the development of a more complete soil dwelling ecosystem which would include M fungi which then inhibit infection by HF by competing for habitat.

HF is associated with sub-optimal soil conditions so that would be the first port of call, improve the soil. Decompaction for a start. Taking that into consideration maybe the piling of large amounts of deadwood beneath the canopy could have a negative effect? Not sure? So maybe best to spread it out I would think. Any thoughts?

I think the natural control they speak of would be mychorrhiza which is more common in better quality soil. Having deadwood slowly rotting away must encourage the development of a more complete soil dwelling ecosystem which would include M fungi which then inhibit infection by HF by competing for habitat.

HF is associated with sub-optimal soil conditions so that would be the first port of call, improve the soil. Decompaction for a start. Taking that into consideration maybe the piling of large amounts of deadwood beneath the canopy could have a negative effect? Not sure? So maybe best to spread it out I would think. Any thoughts?

Having pondered this for a good while, I think the strategy is to invite sparpophytic fungi into teh rooting zone so tha tthey will not only colonises the ground-contact deadwood but will also put out rhizomes and hyphae into the shallow surface layer arund the deadwood. In so doing they may prevent a barrier to progress of Armillaria by creating a strip of soil exhausted of the material Armillaria would feed on and releasing less complex mineral nutrients that would contribute to the health of any tree roots so that they can fight off infection.

Perhaps mycorrhyzal fungi (of the ectotrophic type), in creating a sheath around the smaller roots also create a physical and chemical barrier, if not an allelopathic one that creates a degree of resistance for the tree.

I am now out of my depth. I don't know if ectotrophic mycorrrhyzal fungi (which are benefitting from a symbiotic relationship with the tree) would be helped by deadwood.

But I suppose allelopathy could be a trait of saprophytic deadwood feeders too, and if so the shallow soils in the deadwood zone would become a chemical barrier to Armillaria.

In effect this is like the proven strategy for prevention of Heterobasidion spread in clearfelled forestry. The stump surface layer is killed (H.a. can only colonise living wood) and Pseudotrametes gibbosa is applied to degrade the stumps but also usefully to 'see off' the Heterobasidion.

Don't quote me anyone, I am speculating somewhat.

Having pondered this for a good while, I think the strategy is to invite sparpophytic fungi into teh rooting zone so tha tthey will not only colonises the ground-contact deadwood but will also put out rhizomes and hyphae into the shallow surface layer arund the deadwood. In so doing they may prevent a barrier to progress of Armillaria by creating a strip of soil exhausted of the material Armillaria would feed on and releasing less complex mineral nutrients that would contribute to the health of any tree roots so that they can fight off infection.

Perhaps mycorrhyzal fungi (of the ectotrophic type), in creating a sheath around the smaller roots also create a physical and chemical barrier, if not an allelopathic one that creates a degree of resistance for the tree.

I am now out of my depth. I don't know if ectotrophic mycorrrhyzal fungi (which are benefitting from a symbiotic relationship with the tree) would be helped by deadwood.

But I suppose allelopathy could be a trait of saprophytic deadwood feeders too, and if so the shallow soils in the deadwood zone would become a chemical barrier to Armillaria.

In effect this is like the proven strategy for prevention of Heterobasidion spread in clearfelled forestry. The stump surface layer is killed (H.a. can only colonise living wood) and Pseudotrametes gibbosa is applied to degrade the stumps but also usefully to 'see off' the Heterobasidion.

Don't quote me anyone, I am speculating somewhat.

I think the deadwood would encourage other soil dwelling organisms which in turn improve aeration and that without doubt will encourage M fungi. I read somewhere years ago the HF transports oxygen along the bootlaces so it can grow in an oxygen poor environment, even water filled xylem vessels. This is what makes it actively pathogenic in its colonisation strategy. M fungi on the other hand would struggle in a low oxygen environment I believe meaning that they get out competed by the HF.

I think the deadwood would encourage other soil dwelling organisms which in turn improve aeration and that without doubt will encourage M fungi. I read somewhere years ago the HF transports oxygen along the bootlaces so it can grow in an oxygen poor environment, even water filled xylem vessels. This is what makes it actively pathogenic in its colonisation strategy. M fungi on the other hand would struggle in a low oxygen environment I believe meaning that they get out competed by the HF.

Unless the M fungi derive xygen from tree roots as part of the symbiosis? If they can allow larger molecules like C6H12O6 across their cell walls they can surely admit tiny O2?

Will look this up when I get a chance, hut don't let it stop someone stopping me or doing it for me. especially if they know the answer.

Not sure if it's l6 stuff. It certainly wasn't covered when I did the old tech cert, but a personal interest and a-level chemistry and biology helps! I'm just waiting till funds and familiy life give me the time to commit to the l6. Maybe I'll see you there...

Not sure if it's l6 stuff. It certainly wasn't covered when I did the old tech cert, but a personal interest and a-level chemistry and biology helps! I'm just waiting till funds and familiy life give me the time to commit to the l6. Maybe I'll see you there...

Where are you based? I'm in Cornwall so it's likely the travel would be a real PITA for me! I have funds on standby, but time is ridiculously precious, 3yo daughter, busy at work blah, blah, blah etc, etc, etc! The knowledge on this forum is incredible, just makes me want to learn more!

I know how you feel, the knowledge displayed in some posts leaves my intellect cowering in the corner! And with a 4yo and a nearly 3yo, and a 3 month old, all to be home schooled, and wife with health problems, and paid work to do, time is my biggest 'holder backer' too.

I'm in Essex and would likely do it through tree life, I guess at Harlow if they still run the course there- probably a bit far for you!