Crewcab or single cab?

Andyd1606

Thanks I won't bore you with the details but despite my insurance company assuring me I would be the same financially after this non fault accident I am certainly not!!!

I think it will probably come down to what I can find for the right price nearby whether it's single cab or double.

Looks like I'm using my project defender for a while till I sort a new truck.

Matt I had thought of finding a storage box but would need a new buck as my chip box just bolts on to a standard transit buck so I just unbolted it when the van was damaged.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks I won't bore you with the details but despite my insurance company assuring me I would be the same financially after this non fault accident I am certainly not!!!

I think it will probably come down to what I can find for the right price nearby whether it's single cab or double.

Looks like I'm using my project defender for a while till I sort a new truck.

Matt I had thought of finding a storage box but would need a new buck as my chip box just bolts on to a standard transit buck so I just unbolted it when the van was damaged.

Mate I know what your going through got woken up by a neighbour as a taxi had steamed into the front of my transit at 4am on a Sunday.. Was 3 weeks before I even got an answer if it was repaired his veihcle was a write of so nearly went into melt down yeah got a courtesy van but no tow bar! And had to spend £200 building a ply body on it. Luckily it was repaired but it went away for 10 weeks in the end cost me £250 for a part not covered they said needed changing the took it from eastbourne to a body shop in Salisbury!! I filled the tank up as usual on a Saturday (day before accident) the £100 of fuel was gone on delivery several other things were different but I just had to crack on and be greatful it came back.. Vans only insured for £6000 and they spent £5500 repairing it!! Hope you get sorted mate.

I agree there a lot worse things in life it's just the hassle of dealing with insurance companies that drives me mad. My truck was the cleanest crewcab I've come across and it took me a few months and a trip to north wales to find the right one. The frustrating thing is I had just spent a fortune painting and repairing the buck and also spent a fortune on signwriting.

Just need to find another one in good condition for the measles sum they have paid me out

As a matter of interest what did the pay? Your van sounds as thought its similar condition to mine was x council and only just crept up to 80k and 2 months before I spent £1200 having the chain changed at fords. I hated the insurance company's as at first nothing was going on then when they contacted me 2-3 weeks later they said that the other party hadn't admitted liability!!! He was the only bloke on the road?? Closed book in my eyes. I was told by a local van dealers to be lucky if I was offered 2k

Mine was a 51 plate with 149k but full service history and a very easy life. I had also added updated springs and had the cab racked out for tools etc.

The other driver whilst speeding by his own admission hit the rear light bar and damaged the buck and ended up with his focus buried under the rear of my truck luckily he didn't have a passenger otherwise they probably would have been dead!

The insurance companies approved repairer quoted £8400 for the repairs! I spent 10 years as a panel beater and estimater and even I couldn't work out how they came up with this price.

They paid out but only £2k and that was with me refusing their first offer of £1500.

There's nothing about for that price that's decent so looks like I'll be putting some money to it and buying something decent which is what annoys me most being out of pocket through no fault of my own.

Mines 53. That's un real must have been chassis damage, although one of the front arms on mine was damaged. Taxi driver was blatantly rushing back into town for another fair he must of been doing 60 to cause the damage. That's my point exactly nothing was my fault it was parked outside my home legally and I was asleep! I went and bought a second work vehicle just to make work easier and should anything like this happen again it doesn't put me out too much, funnily enough it sold on eBay tonight and I'm also lookin for another tipper so I have 2 (other was a panel van) so your threads also helped me out.

Mines 53. That's un real must have been chassis damage, although one of the front arms on mine was damaged. Taxi driver was blatantly rushing back into town for another fair he must of been doing 60 to cause the damage. That's my point exactly nothing was my fault it was parked outside my home legally and I was asleep! I went and bought a second work vehicle just to make work easier and should anything like this happen again it doesn't put me out too much, funnily enough it sold on eBay tonight and I'm also lookin for another tipper so I have 2 (other was a panel van) so your threads also helped me out.

Sounds similar to mine the driver admitted to doing 40 in a 30 which probably means he was going faster than that! There's no chassis damage I've had a good look along the whole chassis. I think they have priced for a new buck and probably to get the truck on a jig just to double check chassis alignment other than that it's a new lightbar and lights and nothing else.

Looks like I'll be trawling auto trader and eBay for the right truck for a while and saving some money to get the best I can.

It just so happened that I was in the process of buying a Landy 110 as a project for a second vehicle in case this happens but I'll be using it for a while without sorting the tipping back.

I hadn't thought of a box under along the chassis but seems a good obvious place will have to google it and see what I can find. I have a security box which bolts on the buck but don't want to put tools in it then tip and they all get broken.

I had a fully loaded sugar beet wagon take the whole front off mine,even bent both front chassis rails and outer and inner wings,had to have the engine out to reweld/jig rails.came to over £8K and Gladwins had it in for 8 weeks.

Touch and go whether insurance were going to write it off but i told them if they did write off,i wanted it back as it took me 6 months to find it - 2 1/2 years old with 15k on clock.

Back on the road now though,watching out for mad lorry drivers.