Checking butts for metal

Jeff Segal

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was milling some oak today for a client and my c scope cs4pi found some metal buried 12" in the tree. When you do some experiments and practice you can work out how to adjust the sensitivity of the detector to tell the depth of the metal. I managed to mill within 1" of the metal ad cut it out. no blade damage. they pay for themselves quickly.

Problem with fitting something to the carriage is the carriage is made of metal and it would always detect the carriage.

I have a Garrett Euro ace which is similar to a 250; I have only used it for conventional detecting in soil. I personally don't think it would be much use for detecting included metal in wood; it only really seems to find nail sized items at around 4 to maybe 5 inches and only larger targets like plough shares and horseshoes a bit more I can't recall recovering anything deeper than about 8 inches. They are really a machine developed with finding coin like non ferrous items in mind and I usually set it to ignore ferrous but large nails, bolts and larger items can fool it.

They have a pinpointing mode which is indiscriminate and supposedly narrow detecting "beam" which may be useful for this purpose.

If anyone in Shropshire wants me to scan a saw log or a log known to have included items I would be interested to experiment.

I also believe that the Cscope P.I. model previously suggested would be better for the purpose but have never used one.

However as preciously stated non metallic included items can cause havoc; I remember when I was young I was at a sawmill one day when the bandmill hit a porcelain telephone wire insulator in a log the sparks flew and I think the band broke.