Roughneck ROU68265 Heavy-Duty Post Hole Digger

Timbur

Morning all,

My old post hole diggers with fiberglass handles have finally given up the ghost. Does anyone have experience of the above?

Looks great value at Screwfix for £55.

ROU68265.jpg

Either that or a cheap place to source wooden handles to repair the old set :o)

cheers

Tim

Morning all,

My old post hole diggers with fiberglass handles have finally given up the ghost. Does anyone have experience of the above?

ROU68265.jpg

cheers

Tim

Hi Tim if it any think like there splitting maul then it no good but screwfix will take it back thanks Jon

Morning all,

ROU68265.jpg

cheers

Tim

Hi Tim a mate had one I dig my 5ft post holes with it had metal handles just weld them into old set you have thanks Jon

My fiberglass handles have split at the base on my Carter spades. My fencing supplier says it's my fault for twisting the spades rather than just using them to remove dirt. I'd like something I can be brutal with occasionally without it breaking. These looked the part but I thought I'd see if there was any feedback from actual users. Not bothered about the double hinge thing, just want tools that work.

My fiberglass handles have split at the base on my Carter spades. My fencing supplier says it's my fault for twisting the spades rather than just using them to remove dirt. I'd like something I can be brutal with occasionally without it breaking. These looked the part but I thought I'd see if there was any feedback from actual users. Not bothered about the double hinge thing, just want tools that work.

The trick with these is not to use them to dig but to use them just to scoop out what you have already loosened with a fencing shovel. (Actually , a draining shovel works best. The head is long and pointy with a slight curve enabling you to dig out perfectly round holes. The seam weld where the head joins the shaft is 2ft so it gives a good depth guide as well) Using this method you are just using them to lift the loosened soil out of the hole. Again, this saves the damage caused by impact on the hinge part of the shaft.

iv got some Caldwell (made in England once owned by Bulldog) shuv holers all steel, you couldn't break them if you tried, iv been twisting them and ramming them into soil for years without barely any wear at all. I find the wooden ones a bit pathetic to be honest and I don't like the fact that everything flexes.

I've got a set. The leaver mean your not at full arms width to close the scoop and there's a mechanical advantage. Also means you can dig deeper before you need to widen the top of the hole. I Also like the way the handles meet at the top do no more bashed knuckles!