G50 wood chip, any good?

briquette_seller

I have seen shards like yours from a Heizo when the cordwood went in sideways the teeth just chew great lumps off instead of making decent chips, having decent length material and keeping the lengths going in straight makes an amazing difference

Ok, i can see what your saying.

The crane i was using that day was very slow, and i wasnt ablt to keep up, so the chipper was finished before i got the next lot of sticks in, so there were gaps.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks very much like shredded pallets. Sorry to be brutal but if you were chipping my round wood you wouldn't get to fill a second trailer. Too many other things can go wrong running biomass boilers without knowingly introducing problems.

That said if the wood you were chipping was very old and brittle then you might expect something like your picture. Problem is when wood gets to that stage it absorbes water quickly. I try to dry for a couple of years with good airflow and chip before the wood goes over.

Looks very much like shredded pallets. Sorry to be brutal but if you were chipping my round wood you wouldn't get to fill a second trailer. Too many other things can go wrong running biomass boilers without knowingly introducing problems.

That said if the wood you were chipping was very old and brittle then you might expect something like your picture. Problem is when wood gets to that stage it absorbes water quickly. I try to dry for a couple of years with good airflow and chip before the wood goes over.

Can i ask what goes wrong? Excuse my ignorance, not had many dealings with biomass boilers.

I thought, if it was clean wood, it would burn.....?

I supplied a guy with shredded pallets, he had bother with klingkers?

klingkers?

Clinker= fused ash it often happens with contaminated wood, dirt often causes this. What happens is the fire is not normally hot enough to melt wood ash but if other contaminants are present, like chalky soil, the ash melting point lowers and the ash turns to a liquid glass which then solidifies on cooler parts.

Can i ask what goes wrong? Excuse my ignorance, not had many dealings with biomass boilers.

I thought, if it was clean wood, it would burn.....?

I supplied a guy with shredded pallets, he had bother with klingkers?

That would be the nails I expect unless he was running too hot. Pallets might be very dry and some are treated so he might have needed to turn his air down a bit

The burning is no problem its getting the chip into the furnace.

The chip locks together and does not flow properly, (bridges). It can jam augers if they are marginal. The longer pieces trip safety devices, flaps and finger activated switches. They block photocell line of sight then the chip feed stops and the boiler goes out. To be avoided if you rely on your boiler.

That would be the nails I expect unless he was running too hot. Pallets might be very dry and some are treated so he might have needed to turn his air down a bit

The burning is no problem its getting the chip into the furnace.

The chip locks together and does not flow properly, (bridges). It can jam augers if they are marginal. The longer pieces trip safety devices, flaps and finger activated switches. They block photocell line of sight then the chip feed stops and the boiler goes out. To be avoided if you rely on your boiler.

All nails removed.

I guessed it could be dirt.

We used pallets for a short time for manufacturing briquettes, but the silica content was too high.

Ok, now I see why you want a consistent particle size.

Clinker= fused ash it often happens with contaminated wood, dirt often causes this. What happens is the fire is not normally hot enough to melt wood ash but if other contaminants are present, like chalky soil, the ash melting point lowers and the ash turns to a liquid glass which then solidifies on cooler parts.

Ok, thanks, that's what I thought.

Alot more fine dust from the pallets as well, I guess this wouldn't help reach a high temperature.