Quote too much??

hamdogg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Equally, it could be down to not everybody playing by the same rules eg no insurance, unqualified benefits claimers on the ground working for cash, etc etc. :001_smile:

That's exactly what it's all about! Too many lads round my area "jack of all trades"

It's funny how some people feel insulted because they think they are entitled to heavy discounts on quotes. Then have no problem insulting you when it isn't quite what they expected. Don't work for family or friends.

The only family I work for is my 90 year old Dad and that is always for free .

I recently priced for the removal of 12 large macrocarpas near Morlaix on the coast.

It came to 12k which the client's face lost all it's colour but when they asked how many days I replied 6.

Client does the math (not hard... ) and cries "2k a day!? You EARN 2k a day! That is outrageous!

Tried to explain that I don''earn' such a figure plus I work FOR a limited company and wouldn't be on my own... plus all the equipment required but client's ears and mind where closed. Client thought I'd do it for the wood alone and burn on site though it be illegal and such a pyre would be seen from le tour Eiffel...

Yet another Brit with Rose tinted glasses whose French dream is crumbling as far as he can renovate it...

Ty

We seem to all have the same experiences with quoting for jobs. I now quote what I want/need to do that job. If I get asked to do a job for a mate, and they are a genuine mate then I look after them but big jobs for mates I explain the costs a bit to them and they usually understand.

Where I am I would go with £1750+vat. Ringing up I never really make money on your normal day rate due to extra fuel, wear and tear on saws and it always seems to take longer than I allowed.

£1.750 plus vat for two days work??!!! Jesus!! I,m moving to where you live! You wouldnt dare ask half of that in the north east you just wouldnt get it! Too many small outfits buying work round here

To the OP, forget about it, can't win them all.

There's always a thread like this going on at sometime or other here, and I suspect on every other trade forum.

"Smaller outfits charging stupid prices" "probably unprofessional, not like us"

"They'll be bankrupt in months" etc etc.

Well it's a very competitive market place, especially in the Home Counties.

If you keep losing work, stop blaming all the others who are too big/too small or whatever and look at yourself.

Not aimed at anyone in particular just a thought about the the current incarnation of this constant theme.