Ride on mowers

dogman

To be honest, you are not going to get a new pro quality mower for £2000, but there again your current 1/2 acre is not a lot of grass and a domestic quality mower will be more than sufficient.

Unless you intend to dramatically increase the amount of grass you cut, then forget zero turns, diesels, commercial mowers and wide decks, even secondhand. Any that fall within your budget will have been heavily used and will require money to be spent.

You also have to consider how you transport it. Not many vans will take a 48" deck, and neither will a 4ft trailer.

Decide first whether you need to mulch, eject or collect the grass.

As said before, be VERY cautious of used machines, especially private sales. Mowers can look very pretty with a lick of paint and a spray of silicone, but the decks will almost certainly be rusting away from below.

I see many customers who bring in the mower they have bought on Ebay and collected from 200 miles away, who bring it in for a quick check. Very seldom have they had the bargain they thought they had once I have told them what it will cost to put it in reasonable order. Deck replacements on most domestic ride ons will cost £600-£700.

In my opinion the best value for money by far are John Deere mowers. You can get a 42" side discharge/mulch machine with a 10kw Briggs for around £2500 new. Their build quality surpasses any other mower of the same price.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a small john Deere x125 earlier in the year for a few small areas of grass I cut. I paid £2300 and it has been faultless. Ok it's not as quick as bigger mowers and if I was just cutting grass all day long I'd want something bigger but for the few grass customers I have this is perfect. It has a 42" deck which mulches or side eject and also rear collector although this is crap unless you are picking up short dry grass. Worth looking at as I had 2 second hand mowers before both broke down constantly and I spent a small fortune repairing so gave up and bought new

I bought a small john Deere x125 earlier in the year for a few small areas of grass I cut. I paid £2300 and it has been faultless. Ok it's not as quick as bigger mowers and if I was just cutting grass all day long I'd want something bigger but for the few grass customers I have this is perfect. It has a 42" deck which mulches or side eject and also rear collector although this is crap unless you are picking up short dry grass. Worth looking at as I had 2 second hand mowers before both broke down constantly and I spent a small fortune repairing so gave up and bought new

Good choice Andy. It will not let you down.

I do try to steer folk to the X145 though. It has wider rear tyres, slightly more power, a full pressure lubrication engine with oil filter and a high back seat. All for less than £250 more.

Otherwise its the same tractor.

Thanks folks for taking the time to reply. As well as the up & coming job, I do one other large domestic one of the same size & currently use their aging mtd, which gives a mediocre cut at best, I also have a factory, where I cut a 2metre strip around the edge of an acre field. Also I will be moving house in the near future & my new place has a third of an acre lawn.

I have a 7x5 Paxton caged trailer & was hoping to be able to fit the mower in that, do you think it will be to high off the ground to drive it up ramps in to it ?.

Regards,

Rob