Landrover modification

Isabelle68

I think , at the moment at least , the DPF , if fitted at manufacture , needs to be present . Its a visual check . The body of mine is there but there are no internals . I think thats how it passed .

Yes, a visual check only as far as I know. Some of the `kits` for sale just seem to have a piece of pipe to replace the dpf, so would be no good.

A bloke I know did the same as you on a bmw he had, he was a tig welder by trade, so that helped.:biggrin:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers treewolf did you de-cat yours aswell ?

No, left the cat alone.

On a TD5 it is definitely worth removing the EGR completely as a first improvement. If you want then to remap, great, but don't remap before taking the EGR off. The EGR is not currently checked as part of the MOT however the cat is, and if the vehicle left the factory with one (and a 2003 vehicle will have done) it will be subject to a visual check. The MOT database will tell the tester if one should be present.

My TD5 is in standard tune, although I do have a PSI Powerbox on it which I switch on when I need grunt. As noted above the EGR has been taken off (complete with the heat exchanger), and the cat is present.

On my TDCi (Puma) Defender I have a BAS remap with the EGR disabled, and again the cat is unchanged. On the TDCi, the easiest way to do an MOT-friendly de-cat is to take the downpipe off and drill out the internals with a big masonry drill (but don't inhale the dust). This is possible because the cat is right at the end of the pipe.

Be aware however that many tuners don't recommend de-catting since it can cause problems with the turbo spooling too quickly. On the Puma de-catting does help reduce under-bonnet temperature and can reduce manifold warp.

No, left the cat alone.

On a TD5 it is definitely worth removing the EGR completely as a first improvement. If you want then to remap, great, but don't remap before taking the EGR off. The EGR is not currently checked as part of the MOT however the cat is, and if the vehicle left the factory with one (and a 2003 vehicle will have done) it will be subject to a visual check. The MOT database will tell the tester if one should be present.

My TD5 is in standard tune, although I do have a PSI Powerbox on it which I switch on when I need grunt. As noted above the EGR has been taken off (complete with the heat exchanger), and the cat is present.

On my TDCi (Puma) Defender I have a BAS remap with the EGR disabled, and again the cat is unchanged. On the TDCi, the easiest way to do an MOT-friendly de-cat is to take the downpipe off and drill out the internals with a big masonry drill (but don't inhale the dust). This is possible because the cat is right at the end of the pipe.

Be aware however that many tuners don't recommend de-catting since it can cause problems with the turbo spooling too quickly. On the Puma de-catting does help reduce under-bonnet temperature and can reduce manifold warp.

HI MATE take your land rover to a good remap dealer theres only 5/6 dealers any good them plug and play things are toys but it all down how much your going spend buy cheap it only cost more in long run better off getting it right 1st time thanks my 90 would out pull a disco3/4 they done a great job to thanks but it had all the extra on thanks jon

My td5 is booked for a remap on Monday. I must say I am really looking forward to the results if it's as good as people say. At the moment if couldn't pull the skin off a turd!!

I've lived with it like this for 5 years, why I don't know. I've also ordered the EGR blanking kit.

What is a DPF people are talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

My td5 is booked for a remap on Monday. I must say I am really looking forward to the results if it's as good as people say. At the moment if couldn't pull the skin off a turd!!

I've lived with it like this for 5 years, why I don't know. I've also ordered the EGR blanking kit.

What is a DPF people are talking about?

DPF is diesel particulate filter, looks like a silencer or cat in the exhaust system, its to trap very fine soot particles.

JE Engineering have been tuning Land Rover products for 40+ years and know all the engines inside and out. I'm very pleased with the stage 1 remap they did on my LR130 - 175bhp and 395NM torque. Defender has been running with it for 3 years no problem. Matt

HI MATT there very good JE ENGINEERING they have been in it for years thats why yours is good theres so many COW BOYS OUT just have to do your home work as this will pay off in the long run thanks jon :thumbup:

JE Engineering have been tuning Land Rover products for 40+ years and know all the engines inside and out. I'm very pleased with the stage 1 remap they did on my LR130 - 175bhp and 395NM torque. Defender has been running with it for 3 years no problem. Matt

Is yours a td5 mate