Food aggressive dog?

Python

We've had a saluki/lurcher. Got her own cairn in the garden now.

Have you tried sitting on a chair holding her bowl of food and taking/giving repeatadly with firm voice, so she realises a command. Then getting your oh to do the same, she has to be firm though, if she is worried about a bite wear a welding gaunlet.

It may help

Our dogs know were the bosses, then we have had all from pups.

Hello Python, my advice (not meaning to upset people) would be to not take on board any of these posts as they are old fashioned & antiquated, but to enlist the services of a professional dog behaviourist (not a dog trainer).

Times have moved on since Barbara Woodhouse & her cruel training methods.

There is a reason in your dogs history why it is food aggressive & it is solvable, don't be the next person to let this dog down.

Its not who feeds the dog . Its who takes it out in my experience . Get your Missus to take it out and give it some fun and some discipline . let it run . then bring it back on the whistle and make it walk to heel and sit and stuff like that but mix it up ending on a good note . Se how that works .

Mine was a little possessive/aggressive for a while over her food and her bed. Imo, you need to work out the reasons for aggression before taking the route of pinning the dog down or taking food away.

In my girl's case, it was entirely fear based. She was literally bricking it that I was going to take things away and not give them back. I'm pretty sure this came from her having long lasting bones, and getting upset when they were taken away when they became to small for her to be safe with them. She's a bit of a hoarder and knows exactly what things are hers. Any kind of dominant/aggressive behaviour from me would've only made things worse, because she'd become more scared.

Try getting her to sit and wait for her food, only a few seconds but make sure she gets the message that you're letting her have it. Get her familiar with your Mrs doing the same thing.

Once you've got that down, start to approach as she's eating but as soon as she shows any sign of aggression or fear, back off and leave her to it. You'll need to watch closely for any body language/stiffening/lip curling/head dipping to cover the bowl etc. Over time she should become used to being approached, and feel more comfortable. This should get you up close and without danger. It helps to feed where the dog is facing the room, if you're coming from behind she's bound to be nervous if she doesn't see you coming, she's going to be concentrating on getting the food down her neck.

Growling and warning snaps are a good thing, they're a sign to back off. A worse scenario would be a dog who doesn't warn and goes straight for the bite.

This is based on my own experiences, having read and tried a few methods and put time into my dog. She knows who's the alpha, she knows my Mrs is beta, she knows she's zeta. It's not always pack rank that's the problem.

Best of luck, and hats off to you for taking on a dog that others turned away.

Edited by Dan Curtis

Raise the feeding bowl 9 to 12 " off the floor. You can even hold it up while they eat.

If a dog is allowed to stand over the food or dish, they have taken possession of it and it is theirs.

Simple solution, try it you'll be gobsmacked.

My dog was very aggressive, using this method I could stroke his muzzle whilst he was eating

Hello Python, my advice (not meaning to upset people) would be to not take on board any of these posts as they are old fashioned & antiquated, but to enlist the services of a professional dog behaviourist (not a dog trainer).

Times have moved on since Barbara Woodhouse & her cruel training methods.

There is a reason in your dogs history why it is food aggressive & it is solvable, don't be the next person to let this dog down.

:thumbup1: