Starting in arb

dsearle

So I went to university and got a 2:1 in Conservation biology. Loved the subject but couldn't get a job, I was working 5 days a week and also volunteering but couldn't see when I would not be getting paid minimum wage. So I thought I love trees and I am fit and active and although different there are aspects of this industry which are applicable to my degree. I am now getting myself in more debt doing my level 3 in Forestry and Arboriculture. I am really enjoying it. Passed my CS30 on Friday, going to college 4 days a week, working with a tree surgeon one day and going home at weekends to work Saturday and Sunday.

After the waffle my question really is what sequence to buy kit in? I have my PPE. Would it make sense to buy a saw first? Or begin getting my climbing gear.

Also if anyone else would like to say there career progression in this thread that would be great. Im always interested to know how people got where they are, especially if we have some woodland managers or tree officers here.

Regards

Dave

As said you will probably start by working for someone else & getting all kit supplied. What would make you stand out is if you look after that kit properly learning to clean/maintain a saw properly, how to sharpen a chain properly. Not cutting through metal, dirt, stones etc...

There is a young lad that has worked for a mate of mine for about 4 years he can sharpen a chain but he still cuts into the ground when ringing a trunk meaning time is wasted sharpening again, every pair of boots he is given are full of nicks from the saw within a week & last about 6 months tops.

There are a lot of people like him who don't respect there kit because they haven't had to pay for it & they know it will be replaced when they wreck it.

I'm self employed so do have to buy all my own kit so i don't abuse it. My boots are Haix Alpins so I always pay attention to where my feet are in relation to where I am cutting because if i cut them it will cost me the best part of £300 to replace them. when ringing up a trunk I may actively avoid cutting certain areas because it looks like there could be wire embedded in it & I don't want to waste time stopping to sharpen my chain again etc...

Having an employee who looks after the kit allocated to them properly will always go down very well.

From my experience, buying a climbing kit of my own was one of the best things I did. If you can go reccy climbing whenever you can with friends, do it. Use every opportunity that arises to go climb. If you get your climbing good, then that's one less thing too worry about. But that is just my opinion

Some great advice already said.

I would recomend trying to work with as many people as possible, get a reputation for grafting, and as already said looking after the kit. A sharp saw is important, avoid blunting it, but if you do, sharpen it, don't wait for someone to point out it's blunt, it looks incompetant. And don't put it down to sharpen later, you will forget (that reminds me.....).

As for climbing kit, try as much as you can before you buy, find what works for you, but keep climbing even when the works not there, it is good fun. If you can get a suitable friend to join you, then you may have a future partner.

Buying a saw. I spent years climbing with and using MS170's I've still got about 4 in various states of disrepair. They're gutless, but for climbing, and snedding up, they're good light little saws that only cost £150. It's always worth having a wee saw kicking about for little jobs you get asked to do. If you're wanting a ground saw, I couldn't recomend a MS241 enough. If you need anything bigger, then your employer should have it.

In terms of carear path, I did my qualifications and then slotted back into working for a landscaping company (after an environmental science degree had proved fruitless on the job front), doing occasional tree work for a few people and the company. Got a fair amount of experience, but not really up to speed. I then moved away with my girlfriend getting a new job, found demand for the tree work side of my skill set when introducing myself within a new community and now am busy with work with a couple of guys working for me. I'm often subbed out by the other tree surgeon on the island for the more tricky work.

So basic advice, look after kit, yours or your employers, work hard (keep of your phone until there's a break), Wait for others to stop before you do, look for things to do - if you think something may get smashed, then move it, and keep your saws sharp.

Good luck

Hi Dseale, is that your real name?

I started out in 2008 with a 260, some long reach hedge trimmers and an estate car.

Its been a long road involving hardwork and sacrifice, but the rewards are incredible.

To begin with you are going to have graft like mad and work with some total Tw*ts and your boss maybe like that too. But if you keep your head down stay focused and learn as much as you can eventually you'll be in a position to either go contacting or set-up your own business.