map maker pro

tree79

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BS 5834-4:2011

Surface boxes, guards and underground chambers for the purposes of utilities. Specification for utility chambers

I'm guessing you don't really mean this?!

Mapping trees, stems, canopy, root protection area etc against site layout is essential as per the 5837 standard. It can guide the initial design, form a clear representation of tree protection locations, demonstrate to the lpa that the proposals can be carried out without detriment to the remaining trees etc.

Is this what you meant, or have I misunderstood your question?

BS 5834-4:2011

Surface boxes, guards and underground chambers for the purposes of utilities. Specification for utility chambers

I'm guessing you don't really mean this?!

Mapping trees, stems, canopy, root protection area etc against site layout is essential as per the 5837 standard. It can guide the initial design, form a clear representation of tree protection locations, demonstrate to the lpa that the proposals can be carried out without detriment to the remaining trees etc.

Is this what you meant, or have I misunderstood your question?

It was a typo, I meant BS5837.

I was wondering what was needed in a mapping program to satisfy BS5387 so I could see if there was another way of doing it in mapmaker. Once the centre of the stem is plotted is it a matter of working out the dripline or root protection area or is it also necessary to work out shading?

Shading is rarely needed in my experience, generally a simple arc depending on height is enough, unless the lpa are being fussy. So yes, an accurately sized stem, crown spread to the four compass points, and an rpa. Also colour coded to represent categories, with tree numbers shown. Very helpful to be able to adjust the rpa away from a simple circle while keeping same area too, in case of underground obstructions etc.

Shading is rarely needed in my experience, generally a simple arc depending on height is enough, unless the lpa are being fussy. So yes, an accurately sized stem, crown spread to the four compass points, and an rpa. Also colour coded to represent categories, with tree numbers shown. Very helpful to be able to adjust the rpa away from a simple circle while keeping same area too, in case of underground obstructions etc.

Why an arc for height, to show targets?

Is the polygon of 4 compass points for crown spread simple or do you use interscting arcs from the stem?

Does the rpa follow similar rules to the old NJUG10?

It looks like a simple spreadsheet based on the xy coordinates could generate the above into a mapmaker layer and shading done by a style number based on the category.