chipper food

David Riding

I gave my chipper silver birch for breakfast, sycamore for lunch which it regurgitated perfectly. However for its afternoon snack I gave it some large eucalyptus, part of which got stuck in sideways down the back of the bottom feed roller and would not budge.

After much pondering & effort the only way I could think to get it out was to lift the top roller with the hydraulic ram that works of a switch, and cut the piece in half with the chainsaw bar an inch away from the fly wheel :scared1: The other option was to go back to the yard 20 miles away and jack up the top roller, the chipper modification of putting extra heavy duty springs on the top roller did not help matters. I am trying to think of alternative safer method to dislodge the piece but none have come to mind so far? :confused1:

I jack up the top roller, get a big long 5" or 6" branch and use it as a battering ram to force the piece through while the flywheel is spinning at 1/4 revs.

Be sure to wear your visor :001_smile:

I had the fly wheel at 1/4 revs but the battering ram technique did not work, lucky the chipper has the hydraulic ram thats lifts up the top roller. Otherwise it would have been home time.

wee used to call it the ' funky chicken '. if the top roller gets jammed you need an even bigger bit to shove up the top roller, always comes down with a bang. when we would be chipping and it would happen, it was hard to describe what we needed and what the problem was through sign language, so we agreed to jump about like a chicken, worked a treat...

Yes, David, I've had my 020 in between the rollers a couple of times :scared1:, if you cut 95% of the way through the rollers do the rest.

Always use the battering ram method first, but with revs on full, what the idea of have the revs low Dean :confused1:

Always use the battering ram method first, but with revs on full, what the idea of have the revs low Dean :confused1:

Only because I think it's more likely to wazz a lump of chip out at ya..

I try just hitting it lightly and shavings come off, if it doesn't go then I turn the revs up, get mad and give it a right good battering :001_smile:

Yes, David, I've had my 020 in between the rollers a couple of times :scared1:, if you cut 95% of the way through the rollers do the rest.

I was battering with full tilt initially, Did exactly the same cut 95% through and put a big chunk through, nicked my brand new chain once but I do suffer from the shakes

Cut a long straight bit thats about 4inches thick.Cut the end on an angle like a chisel and lay it "angle up".I used to push it into the chipper with the digger,but you could probably just reverse the machine into a Tree?

Worked well for me anyway.

Cut a long straight bit thats about 4inches thick.Cut the end on an angle like a chisel and lay it "angle up".I used to push it into the chipper with the digger,but you could probably just reverse the machine into a Tree?

Worked well for me anyway.

It would have worked well for me if there would have been another tree near by or a mini digger in close proximity