buying 2nd hand wood chippers

Gary Watson

If you buy a TW, first make sure the stress control works, and if it doesn't make sure that you don't get fobbed off with "it only needs a small cheap thing to fix it"

If you can, remove the three drive belts behind the flywheel (easy job to do and easy to put back, just a 19 mm and 12mm socket) then spin the wheel, it should run smooth and even without any noise. This will give you a true idea of the bearings.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With any used kit, please go and see it, ring the suppliers with the serial number and take someone who can test rotor neartings, look at shear bats, feel for play in the roller drives and know it complies with current H&SE regs. £4k isn't much when you consider vat, so while you shouldn't expect a great deal, you don't want to buy and tjern spend loads more! Good luck - please consider using what you have as a deposit on something newer and with warranty!

With any used kit, please go and see it, ring the suppliers with the serial number and take someone who can test rotor neartings, look at shear bats, feel for play in the roller drives and know it complies with current H&SE regs. £4k isn't much when you consider vat, so while you shouldn't expect a great deal, you don't want to buy and tjern spend loads more! Good luck - please consider using what you have as a deposit on something newer and with warranty!

That's a very good point...when I was first looking I found nice looking/good condition chippers...however most of them didn't comply with H&S ie, stop bars missing (some old ones don't have them) and had a dusting of new paint that made them look nice!!!!

i think this arbtalk member was selling a kwick chip recently for under £4k I'm sure i seen a post but can't find it now. pm him and ask.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/members/jnoon.html

Thanks for all the sound advice, and i take on board the HSE advice...

Robert, i had seen this kwick chip machine on ebay. Is it the same guy? Does anyone have a comments on the kwick chip systems. I have always leant towards the TW systems because of my lack of experience and they seem to be the top name.

Kwick Chip 160/6" Diesel, Wood Chipper | eBay

Personally for 4k your not looking at a stunner , both timberwolf and green mech do a 5" petrol machine , use the 4k as a decent deposit and get something that works and won't let you down , it's all to easy to get a dud when your excited to be buying your first chipper and getting to the stage where your willing to compromise just to get a machine , when in that position of buying your first chipper every one says they won't but believe me you will be tempted

Probably been asked a thousand times before:001_tongue:

Any advice on what to look for with second hand wood chippers? After xmas if all goes well i shall be looking for a towable one and want to spend up to 4k. At this kind of money it seems to be ones that have reached the end of their life with amenity company's. Mechanically what should i look for and are there any makes that should be avoided.

Cheers

I paid £5 k for a mx 220 with 850 hours , had it 2 years and it's only had very minor problems

Personally for 4k your not looking at a stunner , both timberwolf and green mech do a 5" petrol machine , use the 4k as a decent deposit and get something that works and won't let you down , it's all to easy to get a dud when your excited to be buying your first chipper and getting to the stage where your willing to compromise just to get a machine , when in that position of buying your first chipper every one says they won't but believe me you will be tempted

Thanks for the reply. But as I said before, unfortunately I will have to borrow the 4k anyway, it's not money I have hanging around. It really is a budget job. Cheers