Walnut timber - Is this worth anything/of use to anyone?

JaySmith

I felled an avenue of 40yr old walnuts last month,40 trees,2.5m butts from 15" to 20",the lots gone into firewood,shame really but goes through the splitter great and burns well

That's just a bit silly though isn't it, when you think about it. I'll explain.

Assuming an average trunk diameter of 17.5", you've got 437 cubic foot in those 40 lengths. A good mobile bandmill operator will cut those in two days. Even though they are fairly small, you'd still have no problem shifting them at £18 a cubic foot, meaning a revenue of £7866 for two days graft (before delivery or dealing with customers) less about a grand for the sawmill hire. £6600 profit once additional labour has been taken into account if you like.

437 cubic foot translates to 16 tonnes, which would yield 40 cubic metres of firewood or thereabouts. More than two days work with a splitter and a maximum retail of £3200 or less. More work, less money and you have to wait a year to see a return. If you air dried the sawn walnut, you could double your £7866.

Why the hell people even consider firewooding trees like this is beyond me. It's like saying that you'd like to make less money for more work and you'd like to deal with a more difficult customer base just as a bonus :001_huh:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Assuming an average trunk diameter of 17.5", you've got 437 cubic foot in those 40 lengths. A good mobile bandmill operator will cut those in two days. Even though they are fairly small, you'd still have no problem shifting them at £18 a cubic foot, meaning a revenue of £7866 for two days graft (before delivery or dealing with customers) less about a grand for the sawmill hire. £6600 profit once additional labour has been taken into account if you like.

437 cubic foot translates to 16 tonnes, which would yield 40 cubic metres of firewood or thereabouts. More than two days work with a splitter and a maximum retail of £3200 or less. More work, less money and you have to wait a year to see a return. If you air dried the sawn walnut, you could double your £7866.

Why the hell people even consider firewooding trees like this is beyond me. It's like saying that you'd like to make less money for more work and you'd like to deal with a more difficult customer base just as a bonus :001_huh:

God when you explain it like that it's like throwing £50 notes straight in to the fire.unthinkable really:001_rolleyes:

I consider firewooding trees like this for a few reasons.I'm a busy man who likes to get home to his family,i've been paid reasonable money for the job anyway.i have years of experience of going back to work after tea to meet someone with a beard and an ancient landy and wooden trailer that wants to give me 2 shilling for "the bit in the middle",your figures are interesting,make sense and make me think,thanks

I consider firewooding trees like this for a few reasons.I'm a busy man who likes to get home to his family,i've been paid reasonable money for the job anyway.i have years of experience of going back to work after tea to meet someone with a beard and an ancient landy and wooden trailer that wants to give me 2 shilling for "the bit in the middle",your figures are interesting,make sense and make me think,thanks

I do completely understand your logic, but 40 trees (if you included a few of the second lengths) is an artic load. Not many artic loads of walnut come onto the market, even second rate stuff (which I am assuming yours was, only due to it's relatively young age). I'm confident you could have sold the lot roadside for £10 a hoppus (£4270) for no more work than getting it there. There are a lot of large mills that process huge amounts of timber that would happily take a punt on a wagon load. You are a stone's throw from Helmdon Sawmills in Brackley, who are one of the largest hardwood sawmills in the UK.

I do completely understand your logic, but 40 trees (if you included a few of the second lengths) is an artic load. Not many artic loads of walnut come onto the market, even second rate stuff (which I am assuming yours was, only due to it's relatively young age). I'm confident you could have sold the lot roadside for £10 a hoppus (£4270) for no more work than getting it there. There are a lot of large mills that process huge amounts of timber that would happily take a punt on a wagon load. You are a stone's throw from Helmdon Sawmills in Brackley, who are one of the largest hardwood sawmills in the UK.
Yep thats interesting.showing my ignorance slightly can you advise on shelf life? Best barn stored in the round or doesn't matter? I have room so stockpiling maybe an option

No need to stock pile - as soon as you get the job start finding a buyer for it. It's just a case of ringing around sawmills in the area. You're in a lucky position as you could just have it hauled to Helmdon, milled by Steve there and offered to other sawmills sawn (attractive as sawn timber is easier to transport).

I often try to discount my own timber purchases as a sawmill by selling loads to other sawmills. Finding good timber is the hardest part, and if you're on the ball in terms of ringing round, cutting the timber in an attractive manner to mills and having a few good folk who can help on the cutting and extraction, you could turn a good profit.

Walnut trees at 18" or less dia will have very little ( possibly none ) of the valuable heartwood and I find it hard to believe any one would pay £10 a cubic foot for it !

I've milled walnut of that size with plenty of heartwood.