Need a bigger van

padman

Ok I think it is time for me to upgrade my little Belingo Van. i bought a 6 inch towable chipper a few weeks ago and towing with this small van and trying to chip into wheelie bins is very hard. The van only holds three bins so I have to come back home and pick up my trailer then hump builders bags around when all my bins are full. I am struggling to make it pay.

I do mainly lawn cutting and garden stuff during the growing season and bought the chipper hoping to offer a chipping service during the winter months to one man band tree guys. I have picked up a few jobs but not having a bigger van is hindering me somewhat.

So any one got something for sale that may suit me - been looking at the nissan cabstar both the dropside and tipper but all the ones I have seen are well over a 100+ miles away. Also was thinking a pickup might be better, looking at a ranger on ebay at the mo. Could use it to tow and chip into and also carry mowers, strimmers and stuff when need be.

Also how do you lock up all your gear with these open vehicles, no problem for me at night as i have gates to lock the vans behind, its during the day when working.

Appreciate any thoughts from you more experienced guys :thumbup1:

Cheers Paul

It's a problem because you want both. The ideal none real world solution is a road train of trailer and a chipper behind van with tools safely locked away.

If you got a high sided tipper people would see less. A under slung toolbox would only get your chainsaw in. A tool vault on the back needs a through the side access otherwise when you have finished chipping you have no access.

As a one man chipper crew it should fall on the person your subbing to to cart chip away. Also have handy chip tips as much as possible.

A 4wd is not going to get much use on a grasscutting round in summer, but will put overheads up.

Your only real option to make any money is a Transit or LDV tipper. Trying to offer a 6" chipping service and chipping into a wheelie bin is a fools errand- are you guys really that hard up 'oop North'? (everywhere is 'oop north) from Sussex... :lol: No wonder you're struggling to make it pay.

A single cab tipper with a lockbox on it (or even beter, under the tipper) for saws and hedgecutters would be the best best. If you fit greedy boards then mowers etc would be out of sight in the summer, and you can secure them with an alarmed cable lock.

God luck mate. :thumbup1:

Yep - hard up Brummie I am afraid. I have only got a max 3K to spend. I have looked at two trannie tippers this am - both wrecks.

Prefer the size of those cabstars to be honest, more of a all round gardeners van, that will double up as a chippers van :thumbup:

Cheers for all the advice - it is appreciated.

Me to :)

ah well let me know if it works in real life then! In my mind the only proble may be getting the chip to start moving out with you standing partly in the way of where its going to end up... but maybe you could slip quickly out the way and not get burried!