Pros & cons to owning a tracked chipper

simonm

Yeah the grafters are 3.5ton, but if you get the wide cab like the one in the pic then essentially it is a 5 ton downrated truck. Has a 3.5 ton towing capacity and pulls the tracked and trailer like a train. Have had the tracked and trailer which weigh around 2ton plus say 3 ton on the back (obviously not on the public highway) and the truck still pulls well. The grafters are well geared for towing

I now have a new goal in life!

That set up is the balls, very nice set up indeed! :thumbup1:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah the grafters are 3.5ton, but if you get the wide cab like the one in the pic then essentially it is a 5 ton downrated truck. Has a 3.5 ton towing capacity and pulls the tracked and trailer like a train. Have had the tracked and trailer which weigh around 2ton plus say 3 ton on the back (obviously not on the public highway) and the truck still pulls well. The grafters are well geared for towing

Whats the payload on that? looks like a really nice van.

Trailer = 550kg

Chipper 1335kg

Towing capacity of van 2.250 kg

So in theory yes it will tow it but in reality its a 2004 transit 90bhp! by the time i have got a wheelbarrow full of logs on board men & tools in will deffo be overloaded and i honestly think it would kill the van. Are them grafters 3.5t? i really like canters or them 6.5t ivecos look decent, its just more expense as usual.

I often see the new style transits (not sure what BHP) towing 2.8t mini diggers around. might be worth a look...

not great because the box is heavy, legally less than a ton. If you can go bigger because of our licence the 7.5ton's are well thought of[/QU

There is a nice 1 on auto trader similar to yours but with crew cab ex utility looks good.

Yeah i did see that on there the other day. The one thing that would put me off is the crew cab with the tools in the back but thats just personal preference. Does look nice as long as it has got history then the Isuzu's go on for ever, you seem them everywhere in Africa, Tunisia, Turkey etc. I think the crew cab may have an even lower payload but the gross train will be 7.5 if the truck is 3.5 ton