permission standard Conditions

Cheesy pete

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I probably return or query about 10% of all consents that I get, due to typographical errors, which means that the intent is unclear, even impossible to interpret. Maybe 30-40 annually, it's a lot.

This is almost certainly a typo which should read crown thin.

Shocking stats!

Typo could just as well read 'reduce'. Thing is, we don't know...

Kevin, In explaining how poorly the conditions were written, I failed to explain properly (and was being a little pedantic), but my dinner was getting cold as I wrote.

I should have explained the wording a little better:

"Use of this document

This British Standard takes the form of guidance and recommendations.

It should not be quoted as if it were a specification and particular care

should be taken to ensure that claims of compliance are not misleading."

What I meant was that the authority should be better in their wording and at least use the correct titles. From the OP's later post it seems that that the 25% should refer to a thin, which correlates with my post about poor or incorrect wording.

I have seen some truly atrocious planning consents, so poorly worded and ambiguous that the arb would have free rein to do what they please with impunity. One I particular remember, was a homeowner who had applied and received consent to root prune. When shown the extent of what he planned to cut, I queried the consent which said " remove offending roots" -carte blanche to do as he pleased.

Rant over, its a bugbear of mine, it's not difficult to provide a specific, unambiguous consent letter, is it?

All understood Gary! I was watching the thread with interest (and, if as represented, it was so poorly written consents, a little despair!)

Your comment about Standard v Recommendation just made me think - well is it a standard or isn't it?? It's easy to skip the "Foreword" in eagerness to get into the main body - not absolutely sure I've ever read it previously, have now!

I had an example recently where the Planning Officer told me if I wanted to have a condition changed I'd have to pay the fee and make an application for amendment. It didn't make any difference that I pointed out the condition was unenforceable and inappropriate. It was a "cut & paste" standard template, you only had to read it to see it was nonsense. I just left it go after that, don't see why I should correct someone else's work especially when it was for their benefit and they didn't have the ability to see the logic.

I was interested to see, as the thread developed, if the area / authority would be revealed. Don't suppose it would add to the discussion but I was interested all the same. It's public office after all, if officialdom isn't questioned / challenged then inadequacy, ineptitude and laziness may continue to flourish without scrutiny!

Shame it's been 'decreed' that there shalt be no naming (because that's what the rules say), I have to smile at the irony of a thread that explores poorly applied 'rules' by one agency, then goes ahead and does a similar the thing. After all, if the OP had a location in their profile it would give a fair indication of the local authority being referred to (not 100%, but close!) Ho-hum! :confused1: Them's the rules....

Your comment about Standard v Recommendation just made me think - well is it a standard or isn't it?? It's easy to skip the "Foreword" in eagerness to get into the main body - not absolutely sure I've ever read it previously, have now!

It'sa benchmark of industry best practice against which hteh specification and execution of tree works can be measured. It says it shouldn't be used as a specification. But if you specify that work must be dne in accordance with industry best practice then you are basically using the BS not as a spec but as a judge if it's ever needed.

It's a Standard, as in 'high standard' but there's nothing standard in it. More about approach than giving the right answer for everything.

That;'s the way I see it anyway. Many COuncil's do manage to turn it from BS to that other kind of 'BS' through lack of ... well just lack of various things. Might be managerial support, might be time, might be brain cells, might be experience. For whatever reason it's unforgiveable. If I did my job as badly as whoever dealt with these conditions I'd be mortified and wouldn't expect to get paid.

I had a letter last year, from a planning department that was so poorly written, both in grammar and spelling, it was more or less unreadable.

In a fit of pique, I scrawled a note across the bottom of it and posted it back. That planning officer doesn't deal with me any more, if she answers the phone, I'm put on hold until another officer is available.

My comment was, "Please assign this matter to someone with a basic grasp of the English language."

I still feel a little guilty.

I had a letter last year, from a planning department that was so poorly written, both in grammar and spelling, it was more or less unreadable.

In a fit of pique, I scrawled a note across the bottom of it and posted it back. That planning officer doesn't deal with me any more, if she answers the phone, I'm put on hold until another officer is available.

My comment was, "Please assign this matter to someone with a basic grasp of the English language."

I still feel a little guilty.

YOU feel guilty?? The person drawing a salary for producing it should be the one feeling guilty rather than sulking and playing silly beggars on the phone! A classic example of ineptitude and non accountability.

Whilst (for the time being) TPO apps don't attract a fee (unless you count tax as it might just be a tolerable nuisance, but if, in the future, there was a fee attached to the app process then

YOU feel guilty?? The person drawing a salary for producing it should be the one feeling guilty rather than sulking and playing silly beggars on the phone! A classic example of ineptitude and non accountability.

Whilst (for the time being) TPO apps don't attract a fee (unless you count tax as it might just be a tolerable nuisance, but if, in the future, there was a fee attached to the app process then

Whoops, pressed send whilst still typing!

...that might be a different story!

I was told I had to pay a fee to view an original TPO a fortnight ago. Er, no.