Cheap saw for homeowner/DIY

aesmith

D'oh, I was all set to order the Solo till I read Cuttup's bad experience with one, do you think it could have been restricted to the example you used or am I definitely better off steering well clear?

If I am I guess I'll just have to see what I can get for similar money second hand from the big two!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, if you cut to the chase and buy an Echo, Husky or Stihl, you'll thank us later.

Funny you should say that, I've just received a second-hand Stihl 180 from an Arbtalk member (thanks Jon). I prefer to have decent gear if I can afford it, I'm sure the 180 will be powerful enough for anything I have in mind right now.

Husky 236 for £170. Tidy wee saw for occassional use. Friend bought one recently. Stihl doing a similar deal but I'm more towards Husky myself. Used Solo saws in the past not a good experience overheating, cutting out etc. Definitely avoid unknown cheapie brands!

Solo, unknown brand? They made the largest displacement, mass-produced, one man operated chainsaw! Like a good quarter of the old saw manufacturers, they have sunk down to homeowner and semi-pro quality, but I'd never call them unknown! The super Rex is bigger than the 090, at a hefty 142cc.

Solo, unknown brand? They made the largest displacement, mass-produced, one man operated chainsaw! Like a good quarter of the old saw manufacturers, they have sunk down to homeowner and semi-pro quality, but I'd never call them unknown! The super Rex is bigger than the 090, at a hefty 142cc.

Have you any experience with the 646 that's being discussed here? It's this model at Screwfix Solo Solo 646 38cm 2.9hp 45cc Petrol Chainsaw | Screwfix.com although obviously nobody is going to pay that price.

The power output looks about right for a 45cc motor, it's slightly down on what a similar Stihl would produce but you'd expect that. The Ebay version comes with an 18" bar as opposed to a 15"/16", am I right in thinking it will make for a more versatile but slower cutting saw?

Have you any experience with the 646 that's being discussed here? It's this model at Screwfix Solo Solo 646 38cm 2.9hp 45cc Petrol Chainsaw | Screwfix.com although obviously nobody is going to pay that price.

The power output looks about right for a 45cc motor, it's slightly down on what a similar Stihl would produce but you'd expect that. The Ebay version comes with an 18" bar as opposed to a 15"/16", am I right in thinking it will make for a more versatile but slower cutting saw?

£400?! Damn! Makes husky and Stihl look cheap! No, I have no experience with other brands of saws where the model is younger than me

The story I heard was this was something to do with changing distribution channel as part of their takeover by Alko. Presumably the prior distributor ended up with some written off stock, hence them suddenly appearing at knockdown prices. Local dealer has them on the shelf for £299.00 with 15" bar - that's the only non Stihl saw in his shop.