Dolmar

TerryTibbs

In your mind maybe, but not in the real world - not even close! :biggrin:

In your mind maybe, but in the real world of cutters & climbers, both sides of the pond, these dols & echos are gaining respect for what they are, reliable, long lasting well made saws, even if they lose out on the scales of performance & weight ( by very small margins).

Not only that, but the autotune problems are well documented, & the field operator cant work on them if you get a problem, so its back to the dealer in ever decreasing circles.:001_smile:

In the real world, are you a cutter for a living?:001_smile:

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't make em like they used to!!

They don't, everyone's policies changed when Hans Stihl took over in the 80's, likewise, zama carbs took a nosedive when that was bought by Stihl. It is more economically viable to buy and bin than repair and rebuild now unfortunately.

It's unfortunate you had such a bad experience with your 550, the 560 is a belter.

I will say that the echo toppers are damn heavy, in fact it felt like an 020avs! Never used it, don't know how it runs, but I don't find any problem with the 201 at WOT, so I couldn't comment on how the power feels.

In terms of 60cc saws my choice would go: 560xp > the dolmar > echo > bowsaw or silky > ms362.

So by process of elimination your logical choice is the dolmar.

Niko, behave and stick to threads where you will be useful or appreciated, direct question threads should be answered directly as the op requests.

Geoff, in application nothing matches what's on paper, otherwise Stihl would be top. I also question what people think are marginal values?! A few seconds here and there quickly add up. Likewise, how many operators can carry out field repairs? I've had saws handed to me as broken when all is needed is to dress the depth gauges! The e-carbs eliminate the 'idiot with a screwdriver' fault I have had to fix before.

The e-carbs eliminate the 'idiot with a screwdriver' fault I have had to fix before.

Limit caps stop this in a more acceptable manner but more importantly, the "e carbs" stop people like you or I fixing/repairing them or getting any data off them....unless you have shelled out on expensive software and interface cable or are a dealer!

I know you can't stand in the way of progress but reliability out in the field is what these guys need and I know when I fire up an auto tune, it is damn weird not to be grabbing for the tuning screw driver to set it up - and if it won't run right......??????

I have no answers either!

Limit caps stop this in a more acceptable manner but more importantly, the "e carbs" stop people like you or I fixing/repairing them or getting any data off them....unless you have shelled out on expensive software and interface cable or are a dealer!

Actually only dealers can get the software updates, we can only see the data, but I will see what I can get hold of soon enough ;) the plug-in bit has been reduced to £100 now

Hypocrite!

When do I jump on a genuine H thread where the op asks about a Husq matter and slate the brand?

In your mind maybe, but not in the real world - not even close! :biggrin:

Are you cutting 300 sticks a day in front of the harvester as I am? I think that's a fair testing ground for a pro saw.

I'm under no illusion that the 560xp has wonderful firepower and handling - when it is out of the workshop for a change and by snack time it will be broken again. The ergonomics are on a person by person factor; just because it feels nice in your hands doesn't mean it does in everybody else's. The 550xp is flat as a tit, no attitude in the engine at all.

Niko, behave and stick to threads where you will be useful or appreciated, direct question threads should be answered directly as the op requests.

:thumbup1:

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

When do I jump on a genuine H thread where the op asks about a Husq matter and slate the brand?

Are you cutting 300 sticks a day in front of the harvester as I am? I think that's a fair testing ground for a pro saw.

I'm under no illusion that the 560xp has wonderful firepower and handling - when it is out of the workshop for a change and by snack time it will be broken again. The ergonomics are on a person by person factor; just because it feels nice in your hands doesn't mean it does in everybody else's. The 550xp is flat as a tit, no attitude in the engine at all.

:thumbup1:

Got to say I love my Huskies, use a 346 every day and love it. Use my 372 several times a week, and love it. Use my 560 every day, but ultimately have to put it down and pick up the 346 when it refuses to warm start (such a shame, belting saw). Just bought a 550 last week, I like it, but we will have to see about reliability.

Handbags at the ready...... There's going ti be bonnets on the green 😂😂

You may be right, but for me 3 series huskies where the dogs shiny bits. the 5 series saws seem to be absolute belters, if only they worked reliably.

TCD, in direct threads, 'Stihl or Husqvarna' and 'what saw next' were direct brand saw threads, and there were several indirect threads where you've slated other saws, although I did disregard any mention of the 550xp, Ms 261 and Ms 362 as they are saws with about as much power as a wet fart. These are threads within my last 500 posts.

As I have said before also, I dislike the ergonomics of the Dolmars, they look like 2 series huskies with silly felling spikes. I also said that trying to say they were superior to husky was stupid, considering they all use husky tech. I agree the outboard clutch is a crap design (it is niko, no other manufacturer used the damn design now!) but the 560 is fastest, and once opened up to what normal saws an exhaust, I would go as far as saying it'll out power a 70cc saw. Dolmar will always win in terms of torque, it's built to do so, as were Stihl, once upon a time.

I would also gladly test said Dolmars, I'm curious to see how good they are. I'd also like to know if I could get real spikes for them, after I would inevitably end up buying one on a whim :lol: