Pto winch on front likage.

I just fitted a winch to the front of my Nseries. I wish I had asked this question before.

The issue is the revs, I wouldn't want to over rev the winch as it would damage the hydraulics and possibly other things, so I thought I could run it at half revs since the HP requirement of the winch is 70minimum and the tractor is 130 I thought this would work. I hadn't factored in the fact that my tractor is an "e" model and so develops 1000 rpm on the front PTO at only around 1700rpm, so to get 540 you are barely past tick over. This means that my 5.5 ton uniforest can stall the tractor, and also that I can't use the crane at the same time as the winch as the min revs for the crane are 1300. I have been looking into various options to gear down the PTO and have more or less drawn a blank. They are out there but the vast majority can't take the HP. they aren't cheap either and the will also mess up the front PTO shaft geometry.

So I have decided that the best solution will be to lengthen the input shaft on the winch to take another cog and add a chain drive to another cog on another input shaft with a 2:1 reduction, this will then give me 2 input shafts, one for 540 and one for 1000. Uniforest do make a winch like this but it is setup for a clockwise PTO and mine is an anticlockwise one. So I have the advantage of being able to put anything off the back of the tractor straight onto the front, but it has made my winch setup a little annoying.

That said the winch on the front is awesome, we skidded out some heavy elm sticks with it the other day and the performance is great, as is the radio remote, well worth the extra.

If I were you I'd look closely at the torque and BHP graphs for your engine and see where the power will be when you are at 540 on the front PTO, not being an "e" model yours might make over 1200 rpm which would probably make a big difference. But then you want a bigger winch, which will suck more power......

Call me if you want to chat about it.. 07801 538 717

It looks great, even in soft focus LOL..

imag0281.jpg.d9a1c0d968e2c77ad65e6020e6a3fd1a.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just fitted a winch to the front of my Nseries. I wish I had asked this question before.

The issue is the revs, I wouldn't want to over rev the winch as it would damage the hydraulics and possibly other things, so I thought I could run it at half revs since the HP requirement of the winch is 70minimum and the tractor is 130 I thought this would work. I hadn't factored in the fact that my tractor is an "e" model and so develops 1000 rpm on the front PTO at only around 1700rpm, so to get 540 you are barely past tick over. This means that my 5.5 ton uniforest can stall the tractor, and also that I can't use the crane at the same time as the winch as the min revs for the crane are 1300. I have been looking into various options to gear down the PTO and have more or less drawn a blank. They are out there but the vast majority can't take the HP. they aren't cheap either and the will also mess up the front PTO shaft geometry.

So I have decided that the best solution will be to lengthen the input shaft on the winch to take another cog and add a chain drive to another cog on another input shaft with a 2:1 reduction, this will then give me 2 input shafts, one for 540 and one for 1000. Uniforest do make a winch like this but it is setup for a clockwise PTO and mine is an anticlockwise one. So I have the advantage of being able to put anything off the back of the tractor straight onto the front, but it has made my winch setup a little annoying.

That said the winch on the front is awesome, we skidded out some heavy elm sticks with it the other day and the performance is great, as is the radio remote, well worth the extra.

If I were you I'd look closely at the torque and BHP graphs for your engine and see where the power will be when you are at 540 on the front PTO, not being an "e" model yours might make over 1200 rpm which would probably make a big difference. But then you want a bigger winch, which will suck more power......

Call me if you want to chat about it.. 07801 538 717

It looks great, even in soft focus LOL..

Hi, why min revs for crane 1300?

Cheers

Hi, why min revs for crane 1300?

Cheers

I guess its to do with the oil flow through the pump at 1300rpm. Although i thought the N series were load sensing.

Sorry i forgot about taking a picture of the winch. There is only 1PTO stub on the 9.5 Krpan.

What is the advantage of the winch on the front? Genuinely interested as i'm in the is it worth the front PTO/Linkage debate at the moment. Why not a permanently fixed head unit that runs the cable under the belly for use out the back?

As Tom said the radio remote is worth every penny it will change the way you work and its a hell of a lot safer too.

I have the electronic proportional controls on my crane, I suspect they require a certain flow to work properly. I don't know what the real answer is, ask Wilsons, all I know is when the revs drop below 1300 the crane won't work at all. Is yours a conventional front PTO Jonsie or an anticlock?

Brush cutter, the front winch is great for when you have a crane and trailer combo as you don't have to have either or, you can have both. I am able to drag a log up to the winch, grab it with the crane and shove it on the trailer, its handy for sure. Plus thanks to the antilock front pto the winch can go on the back too if I want to do serious skidding.

Look at the Rabaud Tirmax 4 its run by tractor hydraulics, from 1 spool, it has a 4 tonne constant line pull and uses a chain instead of a cable. A bit different to the norm, but we have supplied one to a local estate and they work it hard. has a 3 way direectional lower blade as well. no need for front pto, just use the linkage.

We have the same winch and have been very pleased with it.

Look at the Rabaud Tirmax 4 its run by tractor hydraulics, from 1 spool, it has a 4 tonne constant line pull and uses a chain instead of a cable. A bit different to the norm, but we have supplied one to a local estate and they work it hard. has a 3 way direectional lower blade as well. no need for front pto, just use the linkage.

that looks like what Thompson trees near me have on their valtra although not seen it up close, not sure about the chain though! im guessing there's a reason that's not the accepted norm on winches?

limited capacity in terms of chain length i ud have thought, though (i presume) the chain drops into a chain locker having been pulled through the notched pullys.

Because I intuitively think chain bulkier (and heavier to carry?) than wire, per kg of breaking strain.

but plusses are always having "power out" faciity and a constant line pull, even when close in, with no possibility fanked wire rope on the drum.