Good Firewood, ringing saw

arhfirewood

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Want does the XP stand for?

The 555 looks like it has the same x-torque engine, just a bit down on power.

Just when I think I know what to buy I read more and get confused again.

Looking for a saw that I can use on a Saturday, put in the shed knowing that when I get it back out 2/3 weeks later it will start and run all day again.

Have no idea what XP stands for. The 555 supposed to be a detuned 560XP but the latter has things that the 555 doesn't, so you couldn't just tune up the 555 to make it a 560XP.

Just as you couldn't simply turn a 545 into a 550XP. Though the differences between the 545 and 550XP are closer, than those between the 555 and 560XP.

The 555 is reliable. And the 2013 & 2014 550XP and 560XP seem to have had their gremlins removed.

Thank you for your replies.

There isn't much 30" wood and most can be cut in 1 pass with a 20" bar, it is also just cut where it is tipped and the small stuff isn't bundled. Only buy hardwood loads.

I was thinking as I have just spent some money on the 064 I would keep this saw for any big stuff as it isn't very often, and then get something lighter and faster with perhaps an 16"/18" bar to replace the 038.

Hi & Welcome,

How about a 365 X-torq with an 18 or 20 inch bar? Its 70cc with plenty of power & proven technology, Im not the only one who will sing praise to it here, but I really do like mine and around £540 from Jonesie?

Perhaps only downside is it may be a tad heavier than the newer 560 but I happily use mine all day.

N

Thanks all.

I think I am at MS362, 555 x-torque, 365 x-torque stage, and I am not sure I would get the full benefit of the XP range, but I also do not want to buy the wrong saw for me.

Didn't want to go below the 58-60cc mark and around £500'ish which possibly rules the MS out.

Thought about second hand but you never know what you will get so there would need to be a few hundred pounds saving just in case there is a major repair. Main reasons I think people sell a newish saw 1/ use it for their job everyday so makes sense to change on a regular basis, would have done a fair amount of work. 2/ Starting to get problems so need to sell before costing too much, which would then cost me. There appears to be a lot of ex-council saws on offer that aren't that old, not sure if they would be good buys.

I was going to stick with Stihl but for some reason I just fancy a Husky.

Andrew

I have a 560xp and a 460 ported by spud. The 560 lives on a 15 and was a pig new until I properly set the tech by running it in bar length timber on full throttle for a full tank. It is now brilliant fast, economical and reliable. The 460 is not a screamer standard but pulls like a train and has been extremely reliable, ported it's a beast, it lives on an 18 and 25 about 50/50 split.

I think these are two saws that by accident I bought but make a good team to cover most things, unless you need a monster saw. Wouldn't change either models if I rekitted. Hope that helps.