Tree rigging survey

Czlowiek Drzewo

well its all very exciting on this topic, seems like a clash of egos. which is a common thing amongst climbers. we all like to think were good, great maybe even some of us think were one of the best. so the idea of declining a tree is admitting defeat. hands up i'm guilty an egotistical climber. i've done jobs where i say no 'worries buddy', when in reality there's been points where i can taste vomit in the back of my throat, but once you've done it you feel great. to be honest that ego inside you is what makes you a good climber every decision you make is based on initial instinct, confidence in your own ability. a hesitant climber generally faulters. too much thinking time can be a bad thing. so back to the initial topic. if you have a poor groundie who questions you and can't let it run. you loose confidence in your groundie and yourself, which results in loosing all flow in work. thats how vital the guy on the ground is.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been doing my own personal tree investigations into tree surgeons in Glasgow.

I have found that 95% of them have severe mental disabilities and don't understand what ' let it run ' means. I have tried everything from changing my accent - gonna let it run ya Dober! etc and still they don't undertand. I think the fish suppers and irn bru have been the main cause of the severe retardation of Glasgow folk.

Anyone in glasgow looking for a job that doesn't stand around like a Zombie.?

Had to get that out my system...aaah.

Very annoyed from getting thrown around tree twice today..almost got really messed up!:mad1::mad1::mad1:

sick of baby sitting full grown men.

In all fairness, roping is one of the most difficult things about groundwork to get right and can take years of experience to perfect. If you are unhappy with the way your team lowers timber then talk them through it, take smaller pieces, and build up a climber-groundy relationship where you are both working towards the same aim. Otherwise do the roping yourself and send someone else up the tree but it is bloody difficult to get right.

well its all very exciting on this topic, seems like a clash of egos. which is a common thing amongst climbers. we all like to think were good, great maybe even some of us think were one of the best. so the idea of declining a tree is admitting defeat. hands up i'm guilty an egotistical climber. i've done jobs where i say no 'worries buddy', when in reality there's been points where i can taste vomit in the back of my throat, but once you've done it you feel great. to be honest that ego inside you is what makes you a good climber every decision you make is based on initial instinct, confidence in your own ability. a hesitant climber generally faulters. too much thinking time can be a bad thing. so back to the initial topic. if you have a poor groundie who questions you and can't let it run. you loose confidence in your groundie and yourself, which results in loosing all flow in work. thats how vital the guy on the ground is.

i could not agree more , i had the same problem with the way one of my groundsmen were lowering so i talked him through it calmly , that way he didnt get flusterd by me it took time but we built up confidence in each other and now work as a team ,

I agree that using a lowering rope properly is a skill in itself. But, the climber must also take some resonsability. I have cocked up a few times and no matter how good the groundie is things can still go pear shaped.

Meant to say I was the climber who cocked up not the groundie.

i dno't mnid bneig jloetd aournd by a bad lwoer, i expect it, more surprised by a good one. there's too many variables, maybe i'm using pulleys maybe i'm using a fork or both. wood weight bla bla. i never know what to tell the groundie when it comes to wraps. all i know is that its bigger than the last piece. i get more flustered where i have to explain a whole new technique. and they don't really get it till the fourth go. and you think to yourself ' did i really save any time implementing that'. as a subbie, i wish i was subbed as a two man unit. they could bring as many others on the ground as they want. just to have one on the ground who always knew your second move. a tall ask i know

i wish i was subbed as a two man unit. they could bring as many others on the ground as they want. just to have one on the ground who always knew your second move. a tall ask i know

Thats how I used to operate as a freelance climber. That way you always have reliable rescue and a good groundsman. Some firms didn't like the idea until they saw how much more effiecint it was.

Why not they might be better than you? :001_smile:

All this arguing about climable or unclimbable is totally irrelevant depending on what work is required and how it needs to be carried out, imo.

I could guarantee that I WILL climb any tree.

Oh Yeah!!

I heard some one say once

"I will climb trees any size except bonsai's "

:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

Me too!

Oh Yeah!!

I heard some one say once

"I will climb trees any size except bonsai's "

:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

Me too!

thats great! i have big dead elm to remove .Its got slugs falling out it and i could prob push it over if i tried. I don't have enough climbing skills to remove it as i ' Can'y climb any tree ' but i am sure one of the egotistic pros on here can deal with.

Whos up for the job? P.s i'll have a ambulance waiting on site for you.:001_tongue: