Which chainsaw for £500 or under

t5pete

work has a 555 and honestly i dont love it much at all, always seems to be struggling to hit a max revs kind of note, never seems settled and just feels down on power. wouldnt buy one.

suggest somebody like spud from on here see what he has second hand, at least it will come from reputaple person not junk off ebay. a good used 357 would be my choice every time.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's all well and good, but the op sounds like a home/land owner type user. Once again, the tree cutters of arbtalk start suggesting the weird and wonderful when it comes to saw selection, where as the person who wants the saw doesn't need/want something that has no local supplier, parts support or technical support! I don't know what mechanical/repair skills anybody has, but not being able to fix an 051 suggests little experience, as these saws were designed by Andreas, so they last a long time and are designed to be fixed

Thank you yes I would prefer a saw that has parts available and pretty well known over here its not a case of not being able to fix the 051 its was a case of I was half way through cutting my current stock and the saw started playing up with a quick inspection it revealed nothing so needed further investigation leaving me stuck for the day and as im a builder I don't have much spare time these days so when I do get a day free I want to spend it cutting so as said im just after a back up saw but tbh the 051 will become the back up saw.

Edited by t5pete

My 261 has been fixed twice and is still faulty and un usable and I got that brand new from good old Andreas!!!!! my dolly is used most days and has proved faultless.

Andreas is dead, as soon as his son took over in the late 70's, the type of saws changed from being very fixable to being disposable. Andreas' son also helped introduce the emissions laws we all love. Pm me your email, I have a workshop manual.

work has a 555 and honestly i dont love it much at all, always seems to be struggling to hit a max revs kind of note, never seems settled and just feels down on power. wouldnt buy one.

I also have a workshop manual for that saw too, I'll pm you a link

Mak/dol man at the apf stated categorical that both were exactually the same just a different colour.

well that is good news they are the same

as TCD stated there are differences on older models of dol/mak

carbs and coils are different on some models

the dcs and ps 6401 have been discontinued for the new 6100 and the dcs 7901 has been discontinued but the ps-7910 is still in production

when it comes to dealers we have 1makita o.p.e dealer in devon/cornwall

Andreas is dead, as soon as his son took over in the late 70's, the type of saws changed from being very fixable to being disposable. Andreas' son also helped introduce the emissions laws we all love. Pm me your email, I have a workshop manual.

I also have a workshop manual for that saw too, I'll pm you a link

Pointless eddy, its the clutch drum problem , been fixed twice and the chain break still stalls it when applied so it just gets used as a last resort.

Pointless eddy, its the clutch drum problem , been fixed twice and the chain break still stalls it when applied so it just gets used as a last resort.

Have you tried emailing Stihl? As poor as the saws design and dealers ability to fix the problem may be, they have an excellent direct support system

Have you tried emailing Stihl? As poor as the saws design and dealers ability to fix the problem may be, they have an excellent direct support system

Its 5 yrs old so I doubt they will be interested now, I have excepted its just a piece of crap.