Tesco going down what do you all think thanks

mendiplogs

Hi Jon,

I think if the local councils wernt so greedy with the business rates & allowed more parking without over zealous traffic wardens then the high street may be providing a bit more competition.

Despite the current economic climate for businesses here, theres plenty of free parking in our local town with busy streets, all year round.

I dislike the way some large organisations treat their suppliers with their profiteering and demanding terms & conditions of supply - it seems like share holders have become the only people they really care about.

N

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working for a small producer I've dealt directly with buyers at Morrisons, Sainsbury's, Tesco and Waitrose. They were all ok regarding listings/price increases except Waitrose where the head buyer wanted to take on our product, unfortunately the category buyer was ruthless regarding what was in it for Waitrose. After verbal agreement to list us they then reneged as someone offered them more attractive terms, consequently the other product got "our" spot on the shelves.

On a personal level I support local shops where I can but the convenience of supermarket is where they win.

There's a Tesco superstore within walking distance of our house but we still go 5 miles to Lidl in Alfreton to get our main tinned food and beer shop. A lot of the time it's just manic trying to find stuff and get round in Tesco and if I happen to call there in the car on the way back or to somewhere it's rubbish having to negotiate trolleys left all over the car park.

Well Mike Ashley of Sports Direct has taken a 0.28% stake in Tesco on wednesday, personally I rather Morrisons as they own 90% of there stores and pay a 7.50% dividend compared with tesco who only own half of their stores as i understand it and only pay a 3% dividend, not to mention their debt of £6bln and pension deficit of £3 bln.

Couldn't agree more, trouble is you,d be surprised just how many people don't agree hence the popularity of supermarkets. As an example I was in my local pub a couple of years ago and I was talking to a few blokes about the butchers in the area and which one we thought was best, no joke , one bloke said "you cant beat fray bentos, they are quality" Says it all really.

Fray Bentos Pie - had one when I was a teenager - still remember the crust .....

And you got free dog food dish too !

Forty years later and they are still making them?

Amazing

But Joe the butcher tells me which farm the meat I buy comes from

And what flavour ( breed ) the cow was

Think I'll stick with Joe

Hi Jon,

I think if the local councils wernt so greedy with the business rates & allowed more parking without over zealous traffic wardens then the high street may be providing a bit more competition.

Despite the current economic climate for businesses here, theres plenty of free parking in our local town with busy streets, all year round.

I dislike the way some large organisations treat their suppliers with their profiteering and demanding terms & conditions of supply - it seems like share holders have become the only people they really care about.

N

Hi NFG there was loads of free parking there last time we went we had great time over great small shops to the cake shop are out of this world mate thanks NFG jon

Hi NFG there was loads of free parking there last time we went we had great time over great small shops to the cake shop are out of this world mate thanks NFG jon

Hi Jon,

Yes, I often get asked what the parking charges are!

Im surprised the cake shops were more popular than ones selling cider!:confused1:

N

Hi Jon,

Yes, I often get asked what the parking charges are!

Im surprised the cake shops were more popular than ones selling cider!:confused1:

N

Hi NFG we had some cider over there good posch stuff I got 10 bottle of it was so funny talking to the very nice woman in the shop she was very nice :thumbup1::thanks NFG jon

• 4 weeks later...