Splitter power for 4 way split.

Alycidon

Will be ordering a new Posch Hydro Combi vertical splitter in the next few days having had a good look at alternatives at APF.

I am simply needing to break down oversize cord into a size I can put through my processor. Max size usually about 500mm but I have some huge horse chesnut and Ash to go through.

I would like to be able to split with a 4 way head, will a 16 tonner handle that or do I need to go up to a 20 or 24 ton. Not normally splitting Oak or Euc,

Posch offer a hydraulic log lifter as an option, Simon (Wilsons) tells me that this is very rarely sold as most use the mechanical lift that comes with the splitter. If this is the case how do users get on with the mechanical lift?. Looks like you have to drop the splitting head, that drops the side loading arm, raise the splitting head and up comes the arm with log. How do you keep the head in the low position while loading the log?.

Finally there is also a winch option, I have some massive lumps of chesnut to split, most are 2 feet + in diameter so am minded to spec the winch. Is this something you use if you have it?, I would have to rig an electrical supply as my elderly MF135 does not have a 12V trailer socket but thats not an issue.

Thanks

A

Will be ordering a new Posch Hydro Combi vertical splitter in the next few days having had a good look at alternatives at APF.

I am simply needing to break down oversize cord into a size I can put through my processor. Max size usually about 500mm but I have some huge horse chesnut and Ash to go through.

I would like to be able to split with a 4 way head, will a 16 tonner handle that or do I need to go up to a 20 or 24 ton. Not normally splitting Oak or Euc,

Posch offer a hydraulic log lifter as an option, Simon (Wilsons) tells me that this is very rarely sold as most use the mechanical lift that comes with the splitter. If this is the case how do users get on with the mechanical lift?. Looks like you have to drop the splitting head, that drops the side loading arm, raise the splitting head and up comes the arm with log. How do you keep the head in the low position while loading the log?.

Finally there is also a winch option, I have some massive lumps of chesnut to split, most are 2 feet + in diameter so am minded to spec the winch. Is this something you use if you have it?, I would have to rig an electrical supply as my elderly MF135 does not have a 12V trailer socket but thats not an issue.

Thanks

A

Have you run some 1/4rd timber through the processor and seen the result? Generally not a great product produced.

We have the hydro combi 20 ton cracking bit of kit. This has the side log lift operating of a chain connected to the splitting ram I personally find it quicker to manually move any large timber. The lift works ok if the timber is perfectly flat bottomed. When cord becomes to heavy to handle I cut it down with the chainsaw. We cut cord to 1meter and cut the billets at 250 mm.

I have Hydrocombi 24 Turbo with hydraulic log lifter and remote winch both very useful, definitely go for fixomatic system with the table makes fast work of re- splitting and very accurate.

Fixomatic is now standard across the range. Thanks for your thoughts on lift and winch.

A

Have you run some 1/4rd timber through the processor and seen the result? Generally not a great product produced.

Cant say I have, have put some split in 2 through, that came out OK. Presentation of the end product is important to me so thanks for the tip.

A

Cant say I have, have put some split in 2 through, that came out OK. Presentation of the end product is important to me so thanks for the tip.

A

We found it quicker to process with a 'fast' vertical splitter if you want a consistent product - lot of log positioning required and resplitting plus undersize with processor. Pro's are designed for roundwood, which probably says it all.

Put the 2 head to head and you decide for yourself.. Good luck.

Did you get a chance to measure from the center of a 4way cross-hair to the main up right on said splitters. If you are looking to simply split into four pieces, this length will be your limiting factor on the max. diameter you can split in this way. Obviously there will be no such limits when using just the single blade.

I have a slide-on four way for a 13ton thor, and dont use it much unless its small sub 12" rings, just struggles too much other wise, using slow speeds much of time. Difficult to use on green billeting operations as well, due to it being too wedged shaped, and can be a nightmare if the wood is 'stringy' and 'chewy'. I would like to try one of those adjustable 4-way knife setups on a horizontal setup, to see if its any faster.

12" cycle time 1.9 sec down on speed 1 return .7 sec total 2.6 sec.

What makes massive difference is return speed on this machine, i also have a splitmaster 30 ton horizontal rarely use now due to speed difference

ref fixomatic-system bought my 24 turbo 2 months ago and was offered the old splitter head where you can slide on 4 way splitter head, don't do a 4 way head for fixomatic - system.