What training/qualification to carry out tree surveys by law?

mattyboy

Unfortunately, nothing.

However, in the event of one of your reports being scrutinised, by a judge or other professional, they will consider your general 'competence' to carry out the task (know this sounds a bit 'contractor' orientated but it applies equally to consultants / advisors.)

Hence consider your knowledge, training, qualifications and experience (and indeed 'currency', i.e. are you up-to-date?) I would suggest you summarise this as your professional credentials and obviously would include professional memberships of AA / ICF / CAS etc.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Here is another one of those indicators. TEP have just posted a job for a surveyor on Arbtalk. It states that applicants must have a level 3 qualification. This is just for surveying work, that is then passed onto consultants for evaluation and analysis. Goes to show what they think they can justify and defend if they need to.

What about if you just point out the dangers of a tree you are looking at, rot, dead limbs, splits,

Generally you are still giving advice as a 'competent person' and need to know what your saying is sound and hence having your 'informal' knowledge based on experience (a very valuable asset) backed up by a formal qualification, ideally, is better.

REMEMBER you need to know your limitations too, i.e. "Sorry Mrs Miggins but you need to get in an expert / consultant to advise here as I'm not qualified to do so." (This is being professional :thumbup1: ...and I do it all the time :biggrin:)

Cheers..

Paul

Generally you are still giving advice as a 'competent person' and need to know what your saying is sound and hence having your 'informal' knowledge based on experience (a very valuable asset) backed up by a formal qualification, ideally, is better.

REMEMBER you need to know your limitations too, i.e. "Sorry Mrs Miggins but you need to get in an expert / consultant to advise here as I'm not qualified to do so." (This is being professional :thumbup1: ...and I do it all the time :biggrin:)

Cheers..

Paul

I agree with Paul. Additionally, even top tree consultants such as those on the AA list will consult with other professionals. For example, if you are specifying ground protection on a development site that has to support traffic exceeding 2t, you would need to do that to an engineering specification. This means involving an engineer. Tree consultants will also discuss legal aspects up to a certain point and then say this has become a legal question and you need to ask an expert, i.e. a solicitor. How far they will go will be based on their own level of competency and experience. e.g. expert witness will be more familiar with the courts.

It works the other way as well. Tree consultants will make recommendations and pass that on to a tree surgeon as they are better equiped to do it. There is no shame in it mate. :thumbup:

However, in the event of one of your reports being scrutinised, by a judge or other professional, they will consider your general 'competence' to carry out the task (know this sounds a bit 'contractor' orientated but it applies equally to consultants / advisors.)

Hence consider your knowledge, training, qualifications and experience (and indeed 'currency', i.e. are you up-to-date?) I would suggest you summarise this as your professional credentials and obviously would include professional memberships of AA / ICF / CAS etc.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Paul, no doubt you will have noted that I have addressed specifically only part of the original question. Literally, one requires no qualification other than a brass neck to write reports. Of course, unless you ar equalified and insured your reports will it be worth wood pulp. But customers are either stupid, gullibe or hopeful sometimes that they can get a report for pennies. The AA and other professional bodies are the only ones that can effectively educate the public as to the difference between chancers and a value-for-money service that won't crumble in your hands at the first sign of a tree situation gong badly wrong.

So, to the OP i would say if you are goung to write reports without qualifications, experience and insurance get yourself a fast car, a letter-drop empty flat postal address and a good bad lawyer. Or else you are going to end up in deep doodoo eventually.

What about if you just point out the dangers of a tree you are looking at, rot, dead limbs, splits,

All very well, but no use in isolation as you are just pointing out potential hazards but not relating these to risk assessment and legal liabilities. I mean, what would a client do with a report that says your tree might shed a limb or fall over? How likely is it, will it probably hurt someone, will the harm be severe, will you be liable in law for damages, what should do do to discharge your common-law duties? That is more important than ointing out potential hazards.