heating with Biomass, have I got the figures right?

difflock

The mainland domestic RHI scheme pays 12.2p/kW*Hr for 20 years.

And the NI scheme is suggesting 7.9p/kW*Hr for 7 years.

Surely this factor of 4.4 times difference cannot be right/fair/equitable.

I appreciate that our oil heating costs are higher than English Gas costs,

but still:confused1:

Marcus

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you may have the "old" figures there Marcus - certainly the timeframe is the original spec which took 2 years to come to fruition and has been scaled back from 20 to 7 years. I'll have a closer look at figures later and get exact detail. My RHI app is going in next week. There is a "calculator" which gives rough estimate on DECC website, I'll find the link and post it up.

Thanks,

I was searching IF perhaps, just perhaps the NI scheme had finally been finalized.

(I knew the proposed payment scheme for it OK)

And I found a 2014 English site stating 12.2 pence for 20 years.

Which "quare gunked" me.

I read and re-read and double checked, but the scheme was definately described as domestic.

I should have saved the web address/link.

cheers

Marcus

As far as I know the figure is 12.2p per unit this is calculated out for your house (depending on insulation) and hot water needs. This is then used for what kw boiler you will get paid for 10kw up to 45kw (max size for domestic RHI) this is then paid over 7 years. I know I've been told I will have to have my house and new extension assessed (Green deal assessment) to determine the size of boiler I will be able to claim for.

I dont believe the payment is based on the boiler size.

Rather on the calculated annual kW*Hrs required to heat the dwelling.

To provide a "deemed" figure, for domestic installs.

Unlike the heat meters fitted to commercial installs.

You're absolutely right there!

On the mainland, and I guess NI will replicate, the original BS from DECC was a 20 yr term and a generous tariff for domestic. Having had their fingers burned with overly generous PV tariffs, the domestic RHI has been delayed >2yrs but is finally upon us. It's now a 7 yr term and is calculated, AFTER submission of a current / valid EPC AND green deal assessment (+/- £150)

Using those documents, a calculation is made of the Heating / hot water requirements for that dwelling, the tariff is based upon that, not the size of the boiler.

You've been on this subject a while Marcus, you know your onions I think!

When I spoke to the Green deal assessor he told me that I could do a rough calculation on heat required to heat the house. I would need 180-200 kw/h per m2 per year for the old uninsulated part of the house and 80 kw/h per m2 per year for the new well insulated extension. Then how many people in the house for the domestic hot water. All this is calculated and they come up with the figure of what size of boiler they will give you RHI payments for. I did ask if there was a heat meter fitted to calculate the heat generated for payments and was told there was only a calculation on paper done. Also I asked if I could fit a bigger boiler than I was getting paid for he said if I was getting paid for a 35 kw boiler I could fit a 45 kw boiler if I wanted but only get paid for a 35 kw. I hope that makes sense. If you get in touch with your boiler supplier they should be able to steer you in the right direction regarding the assessment and if the installation was carried out by a MGS certified installer. Got loads of Bumff I printed off the web and also from the boiler supplier. Loads of luck! Can't wait until I'm at the stage to claim.

Callum, I hear a few alarm bells in what you're saying there, it may be the way you're typing it?

First worry, you DO NOT qualify for RHI if EPC /green deal assessments record a deficiency in mandatory specs - mindful of a couple of exclusions (cavity wall insulation in solid stone walls for example).

If the info you have is from boiler sales staff / installers or green deal assessment providers, I'd say be wary, they both have a vested interest.

I'm quite keen on this subject and have researched a fair bit and, most importantly, have no vested interest, more than happy to have a yap on phone if you think it's any value!