Hedge ID pls

stanleyS11

Question

is it the hedge you showed you want to move. good luck. getting each individial apart. needs to be done in the winter. i will stand corrected on box as it keeps its leaves all year round. and you will need to dig to expose all the roots system so its a ball to then be able to move.

the amount of work it would take i would start from new and plant a new hedge.

Thanks hedge sparrow, I've attached a pic that might help, the terrace area next to the house is being extended out, that retaining wall is coming down and being rebuilt, when that wall is down it will expose an entire side of earth where the hedge roots are, I could make vertical cuts through the branches to the ground surface then what I imagined there was something that could excavate under the roots and lift out each section and drop it in its new location, sounds like a big job and prob expensive compared to starting again but quite like a project. So would my plan work?

if its like any box hedge i have tried to remove there a sod you need to dig all arounf the root system but still keep a lot of the root in place. there be tangled in with each other so will need parting to be able to move.

not say do not do it but its a job. good pair of secetuers a mattock to dig around root systems. could use a small 360 to dig around to make it easier once individual then simple can move them.

it just looks like its a lot of hard graft when you can pick up new hedging cheaply from a good hedging supplier.

and just put them in jobs done.

I've transplanted buxus hedges before, you will need to dig out a decent amount of roots, keep moist, and helps if they are going into a shady position.

Buxus would take a fair while to get to that size in the UK, but if you transplant and lose 20% of the plants it will look rubbish anyway.. Also very hard to put them back in the same order and orientation to make it look like it was never moved!