Chipping hardwood rings

arboriculturist

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not looking good then, but thanks for your advice.

I still think the firewood route is the way to go. You just need someone with a splitter who is looking for hardwood. Transport to another yard via bulk tipper probably similar cost as chipping. Remember you still have to have transport after chipping so two hits.

Looking for someone in Devon who has the kit to contract chip 100 tonnes of Hardwood rings. Beech, Oak etc up to 4' diameter to G30/50. So 400 tonnes of product.

Could Lasco the larger rings up if required.

Any replies would be appreciated.

I've loaded rings into the heizohack 14 800 but it will not manage 4ft, 32" max IIRC., it eats them no problem but is it worth it?

Where in Devon, I still needs some stuff to split for a stove near Tiverton.

I've loaded rings into the heizohack 14 800 but it will not manage 4ft, 32" max IIRC., it eats them no problem but is it worth it?

Sorry, unclear what your question means? Arb waste to costly to convert to firewood unless mega investment in the correct equipment, so having a use for chip seems a sensible option as process is totally mechanised.

Where in Devon, I still needs some stuff to split for a stove near Tiverton.

This timber is not accessible at this point in time, sorry.

Sorry, unclear what your question means? Arb waste to costly to convert to firewood unless mega investment in the correct equipment, so having a use for chip seems a sensible option as process is totally mechanised.

Price for chip free on lorry is about £5/tonne to me at present, it used to be £18/tonne less than 2 years ago. Chipping costs between £10 and £16/tonne so getting a small amount for it as firewood makes better sense to me in Surrey

Price for chip free on lorry is about £5/tonne to me at present, it used to be £18/tonne less than 2 years ago. Chipping costs between £10 and £16/tonne so getting a small amount for it as firewood makes better sense to me in Surrey

I presume you mean £50/tonne. For comparison our chipping cost is less as the transport is over 600 tonne and our wood is easy to handle. £16/tonne sounds right to me.

How are the rings going to be loaded. Even if the chipper copes the grab on the chipper will not feed it at 60 tonnes /hour so the price goes up,.We have to be desperate to pay moe than£50/tonne. Walking floor is the cheapest transport. Get a price first.

Sorry to be negative but these are things to consider.

The last heizohack I looked at had smaller blades than the Komptech so smaller bites. Perhaps why it coped so well.

After the brilliant advise I gave you on processing waste and you're now going to chip the wood :sneaky2::001_tt2:

100 tonnes should make about 150 cbm of firewood which you could sell and make £13,500 at £90 a cbm. Not a bad return on your investment.

And the amount of manual labour needed to process the wood should be made up for by not having to buy then wood (I assume). If you dont fancy the labouring get a young lad to help :001_tongue:

I bet it is one hell of a pile, got any pics of it? :thumbup1: