Do you buy your own gear?

Billy

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your dead right If you have to pay for all your own training and equipment you will treat it with respect and look after it well you will work doubly hard with your training as its you that has to pay for it .

Eastwater:001_smile:

This is just my opinion and deffinetly the whole picture, but as a rule the best climbers are self employed, for this reason, they are more motivated to have the best kit, be the best, you are investing in yourself and your abilities this motivates you to be better to get the best rates of pay and work.

Its not a golden rule just a generalisation.

Nicely put Andy.

. I work for an AA approved contractor they like to see him using subbies with there own pli, .

nope the tax man expects self employed people to carry their own appropriate insurances the aa mearly reflect the opinion of HMRC

nope the tax man expects self employed people to carry their own appropriate insurances the aa mearly reflect the opinion of HMRC

Intresting to know, it was always a bit of a grey area to me when i started out, some said you could work as a subbie of other companies insurance etc.

For me I just got my own insurance then there is no grey i just have it, plus as you said it looks good to the tax man.

I had to go self employed, because I didn’t want to go on the power lines again, really I just wanted a job, dragging, chipping, lowering, felling, surveying, climbing.

I didn’t want to start my own set up and I still don’t, I just wanted to climb. I realise that the best way of achieving this is to get qualified and get a car, and get back into self employment, but to be honest; I can earn more guaranteed money at a hostel for less work and stress.

So I recon, the best way to climb will be to get my tickets and go back to Australia. We don’t have so many workers rights, so there are more jobs.. Having rights is great, but it’s if you can’t get a job you cant exercise them… go figure… but it might have changed, it has been 6 years, since I left Aus.

I still want to choose my own kit, what ever I do

The only unclimbable tree is one that has already fallen over.

Every tree is climbable but not every tree can have the required work done by climbing alone. Well IME anyway. :001_smile:

Why would the tax man care about insurance?

This is what I did when subbing and what I expect when getting subbies in.

All PPE,climbing equipment and climbing saw to be provided by subbie. Insurance is optional since its the employer who should cough up if things go wrong. There was no way on earth I would be using my insurance or paying the £500 excess if I damaged something/someone UNLESS it was purely through negligence. Accidents can happen you cant put ALL the risk onto the subbie. I expect the same from anyone working for me.

I think its fair. :001_smile:

:confused1: PL insurance is NOT a legal requirement, even if you run you own firm.

So how the tax man can "expect" a sub contractor to have it is beyond me?:confused1:

I am in no way suggesting that to not have insurance is a good idea and I for one word never work without it, I just wish people would stick to the FACT'S!!

When the new rules for "labour only subcontractors" came in, I was working for fountain forestry and 2 other firms.

I went to my local tax office, they gave me a letter stating I was genuinely self employed, they did not ask me about insurance.

Edited by skyhuck