Do you buy your own gear?

Billy

That is fair a chunk but I suppose if you look at it per month its not so bad depending how much work your getting if it was your part time job then it could work out expensive.

.From reading the posts it seems that the going rate an employee starts from 7 Ph up to around 10Ph if you work for someone/ company or if you work for yourself then it seems you can get anything from 10 to 25 Ph with all your own kit transport certs and insurance

From reading posts on here it seems that employment is hard to come by these days and you have to have loads of exp and certs even to get a low paid position so it makes start to think which route to go down long term .

Eastwater:001_smile:

Own kit, transport and insurance are nothing unless you absoltely positively know that there isnt a tree alive that you cannot tackle. I have heard stories about subbies / freelancers turning up like the cavalry, then not having a clue and having to ask the others what to do.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Own kit, transport and insurance are nothing unless you absoltely positively know that there isnt a tree alive that you cannot tackle. I have heard stories about subbies / freelancers turning up like the cavalry, then not having a clue and having to ask the others what to do.

That is the MAIN THING!!!!

Nothing worse than a climber turning up and saying its "unclimbable" :confused1:

Not happened to me, as I do all my own climbing, but I know guys its happened to :thumbdown: and its always the one's who tell you how great they are that can't cut it! :thumbdown:

True, buts whats your excess? £350?

So a fencing panel could ruin your day.

Just a thought :001_smile:

True not sure what my excess about £500 i reckon, still not worth me adding extra to my rate, being good is about being carefull.

I've broken one roof tile, knocked the corner off some gutter and a facia board off a summer house in 4 years, all inexpensive repairs i've sorted myself, and all avoidable.

The most expensive cock up i've ever made was spinning the Vermeer BC1400 whilst towing it to site with a Landcruiser, I mullered the wheels. The company i was working for didn't expect me to pay a thing, even though i'm insured. Its give and take, i'm honest and loyal and made a mistake having pli is just about being professional. I'm also extremly fussy about who i work for.

You won't hear me banging on about how good i am, because i'm not that good, just average.

Edited by Marc

i work for a large firm for many years now glad in not self employed we get any gear we want dont have to worry anything ie bills we have 5 weeks holiday pay plus bank holidays, we all on price work and can earn very well, i know many tree surgeons that are self employed and most of them after expensives only get a basic wage and they get all the head ache to go with it

I totally agree it would be very silly for a person to turn up to do a job and not be able to do it through lack of skills exp and pre planning .

Any job that a person or company goes to do requires a pre assessment of work to be carried out as to weather you could carry out the task required or not .it would be very bad for a persons business if they could not perform the task they have been paid to perform and then mess it all up .

I bet it goes on all the time .

Eastwater

Havent came across an unclimable tree yet, although have came across job specs that cant be done by climbing though :001_smile:

The only unclimbable tree is one that has already fallen over.

Everyone should buy their own gear, they might, then, show some respect for it!

Your dead right If you have to pay for all your own training and equipment you will treat it with respect and look after it well you will work doubly hard with your training as its you that has to pay for it .

Eastwater:001_smile:

I totally agree it would be very silly for a person to turn up to do a job and not be able to do it through lack of skills exp and pre planning .

Any job that a person or company goes to do requires a pre assessment of work to be carried out as to weather you could carry out the task required or not .it would be very bad for a persons business if they could not perform the task they have been paid to perform and then mess it all up .

I bet it goes on all the time .

Eastwater

When I was a subbie climber, I almost never saw the tree or trees until the day of the job.

And even now I have clients that give me work that I just go and do, you can waste a lot of time looking at work. :001_smile: